BraaaaZillll!!! [Monday Meeting Notes]
Brazil is the topic of the day, today, for a variety of reasons.
1) Last week I received a bunch of pics and notes from our friends at Cronistas das Trevas who ran a Chronicles of Darkness Day all across Brazil that demonstrates that the Brazilian tabletop RPG scene is exploding! 160 people in 14 different cities (double the number of cities from last year!) sat down to play Chronicles of Darkness games. It sounds like a great time was had by all!
Maybe one of these years some of us Onyx Path folks can join you down there for the day…
Here is the website, and a few pics I pretty much randomly pulled to share with you all: http://cronistasdastrevasbr.com/2017/01/24/cofd-day-2016-coverage/
2) Cursed Necropolis: Rio is getting set for approvals and then out as a Backer PDF to the Mummy: the Curse KS backers. It is the last of the KS Stretch Goal rewards, and while it took us a much longer time to deliver everything from that KS, it feels great to have delivered (almooost) such a diverse yet solid selection of Mummy: the Curse books.
3) Just today, Fast Eddy Webb let me know that there is a translator/publisher in Brazil interested in Pugmire. This is both very cool, and not surprising. We have had interest in all of the game lines we publish from possible translators from Brazil, and we’re looking forward to getting some signed up soon. Again, from what I hear, the country is just in love with tabletop RPGs, and very open to cool new games.
This brings up something I do want to touch on.
I get a fair number of requests from players in other countries outside the US for us to create our books in their language. This is cool, and it is great to hear that there is interest there, but I hope folks understand that we’re not the ones who are translating and publishing the books in other languages.
We just don’t have the bandwidth or knowledge base for that. We also do not have the time to actively seek out translation partners.
Onyx Path relies on working with translation/publishing partners in other countries who have contacted us, have proven they can do great work, and who are willing and able to pay the licensing fee or fees we ask for. If we had our way, there’d be a partner company in every country around the world making localized versions of our books!
But unfortunately, that’s not the case yet, so we are gradually building relationships with those folks who can and do match up with what we need from our translation partners. If we haven’t done that for your favorite game in your language, please rest assured it is not that we hate your country, language, that game, or you! We just haven’t found a partner who can make it happen yet.
Finally, and try as I might I can’t really get it to fit the Brazil theme, I did want to let Mage 20 fans know that Rollickin’ Rose and Mighty Matt and I sat down with Satyr Phil Brucato and worked out ways to get an additional developer or two onto some of the M20 books we have listed as coming out of the Deluxe M20 Kickstarter. The one dev I heard for certain is onboard is our old friend Pete Woodworth, which Satyr let me know about over the weekend.
Satyr puts his heart and soul into every book, and writes and rewrites and develops the hell out of them (or into them in the case of the Book of the Fallen?), but that dedication has also slowed things down as there are only so many hours in the day for one creator to cover so many things. Satyr didn’t like it, we certainly didn’t, and now we have a working plan.
Really just one of the many ways we’re learning from the lessons of the past five years to move into our next five.
We’re exploring card game Kickstarters, packaging, and components, for Prince’s Gambit. I’m working on the KS pages this week, and our video genius is assembling edits while Justin is picking music. Things look good, and we are all for starting the KS in Feb so long as the process of pulling the KS together cooperates. If so, then Monarchies of Mau KS would be next, after Gambit.
Hunter: the Vigil explodes into the Bundle of Holding! Starting today, you can pledge for first edition Hunter: the Vigil PDFs at massive discounts and 10% of your purchase goes to the RPG Creators Relief Fund, INC too, which is very cool. Check it out here: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/HunterVigil
This offer is doing really well- thanks to all of you who have supported a great cause so far!
How about we do something never before attempted and add WoD Armory to this set of PDFs! For those of you who pledged already- we give this with our thanks! And if you haven’t pledged yet…well now you get even more awesome PDFs when you do!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: http://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
We’re preparing wave 2 of our Deluxe and Prestige print overrun books, including Deluxe Mage 20th Anniversary, and Deluxe V20 Dark Ages.
From the massive Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras main book, we have pulled this single chapter, Dark Eras: Ruins of Empire (Mummy 1893-1924). Perhaps the quintessential era of the mummy in the minds of Westerners, this period saw the decline of the two greatest empires of the age: British and Ottoman. Walk with the Arisen as they bear witness to the death of the Victorian age, to pivotal mortal discoveries in Egypt, and to the horrors of the Great War.
Available in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/178801/Dark-Eras-Ruins-of-Empire-Mummy-the-Curse
From the massive Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras main book, we have pulled this single chapter, Dark Eras: The Sundered World (Werewolf and Mage 5500-5000 BCE). At the birth of civilization, in the shadow of the Fall, the Awakened stand as champions and protectors of the agricultural villages spread across the Balkans. In a world without a Gauntlet, where Shadow and flesh mingle, the steady taming of the world by humanity conflicts with the half-spirit children of Father Wolf.
Available in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202272/Dark-Eras-The-Sundered-World-Werewolf-the-Forsaken-Mage-the-Awakening
Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes for Beast: the Primordial is available now as an Advance PDF: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202615/Night-Horrors-Conquering-Heroes
This book includes:
- An in-depth look at how Heroes hunt and what makes a Hero, with eleven new Heroes to drop into any chronicle.
- A brief look at why Beasts may antagonize one another, with seven new Beasts to drop into any chronicle.
- Rules for Insatiables, ancient creatures born of the Primordial Dream intent on hunting down Beasts to fill a hunger without end, featuring six examples ready to use in any chronicle.
The PDF and physical book PoD versions of Reap the Whirlwind, the Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition Jumpstart swirls into being on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/201127/Reap-the-Whirlwind-Revised-VtR-2e
You are a vampire, a junkie. Every night, you beg and you borrow and you steal just a little more life, just a few more sweet moments. But there’s a guy at the top. The Prince. He’s got everything. The money, the secrets, the blood.
Tonight, you’re going to take it from him. Tomorrow, there’ll be hell to pay.
This updated edition of Reap the Whirlwind features revisions to match the core rulebook for Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition. Text edits and rules clarifications have also been updated.
Reap the Whirlwind Revised includes:
- Rules for creating and playing vampires in the Chronicles of Darkness
- The first two levels of every clan Discipline, the dark powers of the dead
- A complete adventure by noted horror author Chuck Wendig
This new revised Reap the Whirlwind Revised includes an updated booklet, 7 condition cards, and the interactive Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition character sheet.
It is now the preordained time for Dawn of Heresies, the Mummy: the Curse novel written by internationally renowned author Brian Hodge to arise! Both PDF/electronic and physical book PoD versions are now available on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/198720/Dawn-of-Heresies
Rawhead and bloody bones
Steals naughty children from their homes,
Takes them to his dirty den
And they are never seen again.
So says the nursery rhyme that gives birth to Rawhead, the most fearsome entity to imperil the living since the infamous Roller. Once an obedient mummy by name of Benefre, a desperate bid by his cult fails in tragic fashion, and in so doing, sends him to the Devourerís waiting, corruptive maw. What remains of Benefreís ambitious soul rises again, impure and unholy, set to the execution of a scheme so baleful, it constitutes a heresy even among his own misbegotten kind.
All that stands between Rawhead and his terrible aim are a lone mummy, Kemsiyet, and what little remains of her cult following its destruction at Rawhead’s hands. Declan, her prized security aide, and Fiona, an Irish researcher only just recently inducted into the cult and its blood-soaked world, must fight both the odds and the clock in order to prevent a calamity the likes of which the world hasnít seen since the days of the mummies’ creation.
About the Author:
BRIAN HODGE is the acclaimed author of 11 novels, almost 125 short stories, and four full-length collections. His first collection, The Convulsion Factory, was ranked by critic Stanley Wiater among the 113 best books of modern horror. Heís currently wrapping up his fifth, The Immaculate Void. Among gamers, he is perhaps best known as the author of the first official Hellboy novel, On Earth as It Is in Hell.
Recent works include “The Weight of the Dead,” from Tor, and novelettes of cosmic horror in The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu and Children of Lovecraft. His oft-reprinted 2013 novella, “The Same Deep Waters as You” has recently been optioned by a London-based production studio for development for television. Brian lives in Colorado.
Open the V20 Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets now on DTRPG! Both PDF and physical book PoD versions are now available! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/197358/V20-Dark-Ages-Tome-of-Secrets
The Tome of Secrets is a treatment of numerous topics about Cainites and stranger things in the Dark Medieval World. It’s about peeling back the curtain, and digging a little deeper. Inside, you’ll find:
• Expanded treatment of Assamite Sorcery, Koldunic Sorcery, Necromancy, and Setite Sorcery
• A look at Cainite knightly orders, faith movements, and even human witchcraft
• Letters and diaries from all over the Dark Medieval World
Travel with us all the way to the Red Planet for the Cavaliers of Mars Jumpstart: A Festival of Blades, available in PDF and PoD on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/191678/A-Festival-of-Blades-A-Cavaliers-of-Mars-Jumpstart
Live, fight, and love on Mars, a world of red death and strange mystery, a world of savagery and romance.
- A complete adventure set in one of dying Mars’ greatest remaining cities.
- The innovative DEIMOS rules, for high-flying, swashbuckling adventure.
- Four pre-generated player characters, ready to get into the heart of the action.
The Locker is open; the Chronicles of Darkness: Hurt Locker, that is! The Advance PDF is now available on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199275/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Hurt-Locker
Hurt Locker features:
- Treatment of violence in the Chronicles of Darkness. Lasting trauma, scene framing, and other tools for making your stories hurt.
- Many new player options, including Merits, supernatural knacks, and even new character types like psychic vampires and sleeper cell soldiers.
- Expanded equipment and equipment rules.
Hurt Locker requires the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook or any other standalone Chronicles of Darkness rulebook such as Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, or Beast: The Primordial to use.
Discover the long-awaited Secrets of the Covenants for Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition as we unearth the Advance PDF now on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199280/Secrets-of-the-Covenants
- A variety of stories from each of the covenants, all told in their own words.
- Never-before revealed secrets, like the fate of the Prince of New Orleans.
- New blood sorcery, oaths, and other hidden powers of the covenants.
Discussing GenCon plans. August 17th – 20th, Indianapolis. Every chance the booth will actually be 20′ x 30′ this year.
And now, the new project status updates!
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Cookbook (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- CtD C20 Jumpstart (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Ex Novel 2 (Aaron Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- C20 Novel (Jackie Cassada) (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Pugmire Fiction Anthology (Pugmire)
- Pugmire Pan’s Guide for New Pioneers (Pugmire)
- Monarchies of Mau Early Access (Pugmire)
- Hunter: the Vigil 2e core (Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Origins (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Kithbook Boggans (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- GtS Geist 2e core (Geist: the Sin-Eaters Second Edition)
- VtR Half-Damned (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- V20 Dark Ages Jumpstart (Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition)
- The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- BtP Beast Player’s Guide (Beast: the Primordial)
- Book of Freeholds (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- W20 Changing Ways (Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- SL Ring of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Ring of Spiragos (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Dagger of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Dagger of Spiragos (5e– Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Arms of the Chosen (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, featuring the Huntsmen Chronicle (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- BtP Building a Legend (Beast: the Primordial)
- CtD C20 Anthology (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Wraith: the Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition
- VtR A Thousand Years of Night (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- V20 Beckett’s Jyhad Diary (Stretch Goal Content)
- W20 Song of Unmaking novel (Bridges) (Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition)
- CtL fiction anthology (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- Cavaliers of Mars
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
- Dark Eras Companion
- Beckett’s Jyhad Diary
- M20 Book of Secrets – AD’d
- W20 Pentex Employee Indoctrination Handbook
- V20 Dark Ages Companion
- EX3 Tomb of Dreams Jumpstart – More color comps coming in.
- Dagger of Spiragos
- VTR: Thousand Years of Night
- Cavaliers of Mars
- V20 Lore of the Bloodlines
- Prince’s Gambit – Kickstarter Prep.
- Wise & the Wicked 5e
- Dark Eras Companion – Getting things ready to roll.
- Necropolis Rio
- Ex 3 Screen – Finished at the Printer.
- Ex 3 core book – From RichT: manufacturing finishing up. Shipping books from printer to shippers.
- Beast Condition Cards – Pod proofs ordered.
- CofD Hurt Locker – Waiting for tech OK to order PoD.
- Secrets of the Covenants – Waiting for errata to make PoD.
- Beckett Screen – At Printer, reviewing proof. Too dark, new fixed proof coming.
- W20 Shattered Dreams – Prepping shipping to fulfillment shippers.
- Shattered Dreams Screen – At Printer, waiting to print.
- Promethean 2nd Condition Cards – PoD proofs ordered.
- Beast Conquering Heroes – Advance PDF now on sale at DTRPG, gathering errata.
- Mortal Remains: Beast- Red In Tooth and Claw – Going out to Beast KS backers this week.
- Dark Eras: Doubting Souls – Uploading files to Drivethru.
- Dark Eras: Bowery Dogs – Files uploaded.
TODAY’S REASON TO CELEBRATE: Wow. Tough week for this one. Howzabout this week we go from January to February, which is our shortest month, so we’ll get through that the fastest into March, which means Winter is almost over. Throw me a frickin’ bone here, people.