So, Eddy and I started our talk today with the idea that Finns are more flammable. No real reason, just fits into some ideas we were exchanging about the balance we need, as creative people, between loving our work and yet not letting our lives be only about the work. Very tough balance, but anyone that sits in front of a computer all day knows how important it is to get up and move around, to exercise and eat well. Physically and mentally we are then stronger when we need to create and work on projects. And when you get happy solving problems with your work, it is really hard to not spend all day putting out fires. But you’ve got to wind down, decompress, feed your brain.
Along with the idea that we’re both really, really goal oriented, Eddy mentioned that he finds MMOs hard to consume regularly, as he has gotten into the habit of feeling damn satisfied when finishing a computer/console game and MMOs don’t have the same sense of completion to him. I suggested that was based on internally enjoying games in the same narrative sense that you do a book or movie. For me, MMOs are something I play sporadically and with various goals in mind as I play (see, it all comes together) so for me they are more like ongoing TV shows. And that led really quickly to why Dr Who works for both of us as it has mixed the elements of a serial and a TV show. No really, we talked for a stupidly long time about Dr Who.
Back to work: we talked about a blog post I put up last week on the Onyx Path web site: http://theonyxpath.com/behind-the-monday-meeting-notes/ This topic came out of a bunch of comments we got on last week’s Monday Meeting blog, and raised a lot of great questions and conversations. The gist of the OP blog, and the discussions, was my intention that these Updates below function as weekly snapshots as to where the projects are in the process of creating them and getting them into your hands, but that a fair number of you folks are seeing the Updates as announcements. This sets up an expectation that folks can come here to find out an absolute like “this book is on sale this week”, and while that info might pop up here, that’s really a side effect of the progress we’re watching. And part of why that expectation exists is the way we have to announce projects on a whole lot of different social media venues in order to “hit” all the different ways our fans get their info, and also because of the way I’ve phrased some of these Updates. As for the former, we’re ramping up and consolidating our media outreach and will keep doing that through this year, and as for the latter, I’m going to try and change my language here to avoid focusing on the end result even more than I have tried to do so far.
So with those points in mind (and if you get the chance to follow that link to read the blog post and comments I think you’ll get a better idea of what I’m touching on here):
- God Machine Chronicle (nWoD) At CCP for their review.
- Strix Chronicle Fiction Anthology (VtR) Strix is into Editing.
- Mummy the Curse - The single volume PDF and standard color PoD, as well as the “virtual box set” PDFs will be on sale shortly. Still waiting on a cover template from the printer as they had to go back and redo their quotes due to a mix up on their end; we’ll get those files out to start the creation of the traditionally printed KS version. CAS sent me his revised Mummy schedule so that we can work it into the larger release schedule.
- Exalted 3rd Edition: We have everything ready except for a completed video with voice-overs from the Devs, art, graphics and cool music working together. The Devs are still in the Charms section, and have assembled most of the text we’ll be teasing with Updates throughout the Kickstarter.
- V20 Hunters Hunted 2: New sections are in layout and we’re getting art for them. Rather than tacking them on at the end, we’ll be adding a chapter before the Appendix as that just works better for the flow of the book. Justin is reaching out to writers for the HHII Fiction Anthology and the KS backers are suggesting a title.
- V20 Anarchs Unbound is in editing and we are getting art for it. We’ve received photos from some of the Children of the Revolution backers who pledged to be models in AU, but not everyone yet.
- Deluxe Werewolf 20th Anniversary Edition: We’re submitting the W20 PoD files for approval this week, and I’m expecting a new revised W20 Deluxe (both regular and Heavy Metal Edition) quote and then we’ll send the files to press! Mike Lee is three quarters-way through his novel. The Storyteller Screen files will go off to press with W20. Bill has prepared the W20 Anthology outline and contracting prospective writers. The Skinner is in Editing and Art Direction. The White Howlers Tribe Book is with a writer (the always delightful Jess Hartley) and the W20 Cookbook is being outlined. Check out some news here: http://whitewolfblogs.com/w20/2013/03/18/w20-cookbook-update-white-howlers-outline/
-Deluxe Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition has been confirmed for September-ish 2013 and Phil Brucato has started assigning writers and is churning through writing his part. Art notes and contracts out to our full-page artist, once we have some feedback from him I’ll look a posting an art blog along with Phil’s developer notes.
- W20 Changing Breeds is almost out of Editing. Really.
- W20 Rage Across the World: Most of the art is in but a bit continues to trickle in.
- Guildhalls of the Deathless (MtC) is being written.
- Conventionbook: Progenitors (cMtA) revised layout and second proof this week.
- Mage Translation Guide is in Editing.
- W20 Book of the Wyrm is being written and red-lined. Check out the W20 blog notes: http://whitewolfblogs.com/w20/
- Trinity Continuum: we’re talking about the big, big picture stuff that will affect the entire Continuum as opposed to individual games/settings.
- Scion: some very impassioned creators sharing their ideas at this very early stage. Early next week we’ve prepared a special file for our Scion fans (something fun but which doesn’t distract any of our creative team from Scion 2).
- Demon: The Frutang: some example of play commentary from Black Hat Matt McFarland’s play test will be going up on the new Demon blog.
- Free RPG Day Project: Reap the Whirlwind, for VtR, is a combined 64 page booklet that combines a revised version of “Into the Void” and additional rules files from the Strix and God Machine Chronicles. This will be available at participating friendly local game stores in June, I think, and is currently being put into editing.
Reason for Drinking: As soon as I get the EX3 Kickstarter submitted, or Mummy: The Curse on sale, or W20 to press, I’m taking a slug for sure . I really am. This week for sure.