Leftovers! [Monday Meeting Notes]
Posting after Thanksgiving always seems like bits and pieces of topics and ideas, not unlike the Promethean pictured above; the leftovers that we now take care of one by one. Since that’s how we at Onyx Path are now handling those messages and pieces of projects we put aside until after the holiday, that’s pretty much the patchwork of conversations we had at our meeting today.
So, to start off: we released Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition in physical book PoD format to go with the PDF last Wednesday, in case you might have missed it during the holiday craziness. You can read more below in the BLURBS! section, but I do want to mention that developer Black Hat Matt McFarland and his crew of awesome writers did a fantastic job of retaining the mood and feel that was so interesting in first edition, while tweaking those elements that seemed to give Promethean a bum rap.
The idea that you absolutely had to play solo, or completely destroy any area your character stayed in, or that the Pilgrimage is hard to manage, have all been addressed. In fact, Matt even came up with a very nifty Pilgrimage Chart that you can copy/print out and use. Ideas that made the setting richer and more interesting in the later first edition supplements have been fit neatly into this 2nd Edition core book. And, of course, this book is complete unto itself, and features Promethean-specific Conditions and other elements as part of the Chronicles of Darkness rule set.
So check it out and let us know what you think!
Actually, we have a whole bunch of projects coming your way up almost to Dec 25th. (And then we’re all taking off the week between Christmas and New Years). We’re really very pleased to finally get these out to you all, and it might give you an idea how long it takes to do the sort of organizational shifts and changes I’ve been talking about since we had our Onyx Path Summit at Gen Con in August. The spice must flow! And here comes some of it.
This week we are releasing the Cainite Conspiracy V20 Dark Ages fiction anthology, the Beast Condition Cards Advance PDF, and a black and white version of the Endless Ages Vampire Fiction Anthology because we know the full-color version, while gorgeous, is also really expensive in PoD format. These are some amazing pieces of all-new short fiction that span the editions of VtM, and we don’t want any of you missing out because we had to price the darn things in order to cover the printing costs!
We expect to release the Advance PDFs for both CofD: Hurt Locker and Secrets of the Covenants for Vampire the Requiem 2nd in two weeks, along with the Cavaliers of Mars Jumpstart PoD to go with its PDF. The week after that we expect to be releasing the Beast Ready Made Characters PoD, and the V20 Dark Ages Tome of Secrets PoD as well as their PDFs. And more to come…
We’ve also been sending out Kickstarter rewards to backers, and expect a few more to be sent out before the New Year. I know that sometimes folks who aren’t backers lose track of the variety and sheer number of projects that have come out of our Kickstarters especially with their Stretch Goals, so expect a blog post about that soon.
Along the same lines, Impish Ian Watson recently posted a comparison on Facebook between his Prestige Edition CofD: Dark Eras backer reward book, and his PoD version of the same book. Seemed to me some of you might appreciate getting a chance to see the comparison:
And as you might have noticed, the Prestige Edition CofD: Dark Eras comes with a black silk ribbon bookmark loose with the book.
Hope you enjoyed our various leftovers this week, see you next week after I’ve gone to the gym a few times to burn off all the holiday food!
We’re exploring card game Kickstarters, packaging, and components, for Prince’s Gambit. Right now, this will be pushed back further because we need to get the KS video, which will also feature the example of play, done. And that is been hard to make happen with the holidays and Justin’s schedule. So the Monarchies of Mau KS may be our next.
Still time! Monday the 28th is the last day of DTRPG’s Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale, and our core rule books and fiction anthologies (on DriveThruFiction.com) are 15% of all PDFs/electronic formats!
Keep an eye on our FB, Twitter, and other social media, for other sales and deals!!!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: http://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
Wednesday is a great day for reading about vampires! First, we are adding a B&W PoD version of the Endless Ages Vampire Anthology to the existing full color PDF and PoD choices (as explained above)! Celebrating 25 years of personal horror, the eighteen stories in Endless Ages range in style and aesthetics from the very first edition of Vampire released in 1991, all the way to the latest books put out for the 20th Anniversary Edition.
Then we are releasing the Cainite Conspiracies, the fiction anthology for V20 Dark Ages, in PDF and PoD physical book formats! This collection of short stories features tales by Vampire developers such as Justin Achilli, Eddy Webb, David A. Hill, Jr., and Neall Raemonn Price along with award-winning horror authors including Maurice Broaddus, Catherine Lundoff, and Richard Dansky.
Also on Wednesday, we are releasing the Beast Condition Cards Advance PDF version. Part of the Beast: the Primordial rules and a handy and elegant way to keep track of and incorporate Conditions into your Chronicle, Conditions add an additional layer of consequence and reward to certain actions in the World of Darkness. Various things within the course of a game can cause Conditions. These include exceptional successes, supernatural abilities, and really any situation where the Storyteller thinks they can be used to heighten the drama of a game.
Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition comes to life in both PDF and PoD physical book versions NOW on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/189395/Promethean-the-Created-2nd-Edition
You are a pilgrim now, one of the Created. You rose to life from dead flesh or inert matter, under the ministrations of one of your own, or a mad scientist, or perhaps just the power of the Divine Fire. You wander the world, sometimes alone, sometimes in the blessed company of your own kind, driven by memories of events and facts you never knew, all in the service of one Great Work…
…to be human.
Humans don’t make it easy, though. The Divine Fire that animates you burns too bright, blinds people, and scorches the land if you linger too long. It masks your disfigurements and makes you appear human, but that mask slips and people see your hideous, true form. The Pilgrimage is a long, difficult road, but it is yours, and you know, somehow, that the salvation of the New Dawn waits at the end.
This book contains:
- The complete guide to playing a Promethean in the Chronicles of Darkness
- Reimagined Lineages and Refinements, and a redesigned system for Transmutations
- A more detailed approached to the Pilgrimage that presents players with more control over their characters’ path
- New challenges on the road to humanity, including deranged, greedy alchemists
With a snarl, W20 Shattered Dreams is now on sale on DTRPG in both PDF and PoD versions! Grrrrrrr! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194649/W20-Shattered-Dreams
The Past Laid Bare
Shattered Dreams presents an in-depth look at the prehistory of the Garou and Changing Breeds, including both the threats they had to face before circumstances drove them to war and the War of Rage itself. Rather than one answer, it showcases many time periods and many ways in which the War could start, so that players and Storytellers can make prehistory their own. It also presents the circumstances surrounding the Second War of Rage, giving players the chance to take part, either as Garou Conquistadores or as the Fera desperately trying to fight off an invasion. Finally, the included chronicle structure allows modern characters to visit these crucial moments of history in an effort to stop the Wyrm’s most powerful minions.
Shattered Dreams contains:
• The first ever look at the World of Darkness before the War of Rage.
• The ways the Wars of Rage could start, and how enterprising characters could change what happened.
• Two chronicle frameworks that bring modern characters to the past, replete with new Abilities and new Storytelling tools that make the players the center of much larger stories.
With a howl, W20 Kinfolk: A Breed Apart will be on sale on DTRPG in both PDF and PoD formats! Awooooo! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194952/W20-Kinfolk-A-Breed-Apart
Born to Run
The Garou are born of two kinds: humans and wolves. These are their Kinfolk — those “of the blood.” These special people — whether of two legs or four — carry in them the hope of the Garou: the promise of future generations. Although Garou are born to Kinfolk, nobody knows they’re different until they undergo their First Change. Until such a blessed (or cursed) time, they are just like their more mundane Kin. Most live as humans, suffering the foibles of humanity, all the while hoping they’re secretly special, that they harbor the wolf within. Even though that wolf will never howl for the majority of Kin, they’ve still got a vital role in the war, aiding the effort from behind the lines.
Kinfolk: A Breed Apart contains:
- Overview of the Kinfolk, both kenning and callow, including some of the Fellowships founded by Kinfolk to aid the Garou cause — and to protect themselves from their cousins’ Rage.
- Character creation for playing Kinfolk, including new Skills, Backgrounds, Merits and Flaws, as well as special Kin rites, Gifts, and fetishes.
- Guidelines for running Kinfolk chronicles, as well as in-depth information on the Kin-Fetches, the unique spirits used by Garou to watch over their distant cousins and warn the tribes if one of them should undergo the First Change.
NOTE: If you have already purchased the Advance PDF, you will be automatically updated to the final PDF and receive a link to enable you to purchase the PoD at a discount designed so that your total price matches our usual PDF and Print combo offer.
Exalted 3rd Edition Charm Cards! In PDF and PoD physical card sets! Back on sale this week on DTRPG!
There are a lot of cards, and we have to offer them alphabetically through three sets:
Set 1: Archery – Investigation http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/192228/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Charm-Cards-Set-1
Set 2: Larceny – Resistance http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/192229/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Charm-Cards-Set-2
You’ll need all three sets to have all of them.
You can also order them by individual Charm type on the site.
NOW the long awaited opportunity to own Mage: the Awakening 2nd Edition as a physical book is at last at hand! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/181754/Mage-the-Awakening-2nd-Edition
You are a mage, one of the Wise. You see, know, and explore what others can’t imagine, from the depths of the human soul to the hidden corners of reality. Armed with your spells, driven by an addiction to Mysteries, you delve into the secrets of the world. Knowledge has a price, and the dangers are many.
This book contains:
- The complete guide to playing a mage in the Chronicles of Darkness.
- Reimagined Paths, Orders, and powers to create your Awakened characters and their allies, including an updated version of the most comprehensive free-form magic system in gaming.
- Five example settings across the world, from Los Angeles to Salamanca, each with a central Mystery.
- A brand-new look at all the strange places of the Fallen World, from the Lower Depths to the Emanation Realms, and what mages might find within.
Onyx Path will be at Mid Winter Con 2017 in January in the lovely city of Milwaukee. Come brave the cold wastes to game and cavort with us! Please keep an eye out on the MidWinter site for announcements as to our very special beta test and Play With The Creator special events! http://www.midwintergamingconvention.com/
Matthew “Gentleman Gamer” Dawkins and Dapper Dave Brookshaw will be representing Onyx Path at Dragonmeet in London this Saturday, Dec 3rd, so if you are in the area and want to have a chat with either of those gentlemen, please do pop by and say cheerio!
And now, the new project status updates!
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- V20 Dark Ages Jumpstart (Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Cookbook (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- GtS Geist 2e core (Geist: the Sin-Eaters Second Edition)
- VtR Half-Damned (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- Kithbook Boggans (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- CtD C20 Jumpstart (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Ex Novel 2 by Aaron Rosenberg (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Scion: Origins (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- BtP Beast Player’s Guide (Beast: the Primordial)
- The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Cavaliers of Mars
- Wraith: the Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition
- BtP Building a Legend (Beast: the Primordial)
- V20 Beckett’s Jyhad Diary (Stretch Goal Content)
- CtD C20 Anthology (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- W20 Changing Ways (Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- SL The Wise and the Wicked (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Ring of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Ring of Spiragos (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Dagger of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Dagger of Spiragos (5e– Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Arms of the Chosen (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- CtL fiction anthology (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- VtR A Thousand Years of Night (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, featuring the Huntsmen Chronicle (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
- Dark Eras Companion
- Beckett’s Jyhad Diary
- Prince’s Gambit – AD’d
- C20 – Still dealing with artist shenanigans.
- M20 Book of Secrets
- W20 Pentex Employee Indoctrination Handbook
- V20 Dark Ages Companion
- Mortal Remains – Beast – Getting an artist to do it up
- EX3 Jumpstart
- Necropolis Rio
- Promethean 2 Condition Cards
- V20 Lore of the Bloodlines
- SL Wise and Wicked Update
- Beast Conquering Heroes
- Ex 3 Screen – Finished at the Printer.
- Ex 3 core book – From RichT: manufacturing continues. I’m told the two bound samples with covers are coming this week. But we’ve heard that before…
- V20 Endless Ages – B&W lower cost PoD version on sale Wednesday.
- V20 DA The Cainite Conspiracies – PDF/PoD version on sale Wednesday.
- Beast RMCs – PoD proof ordered.
- V20 DA Tome of Secrets – Waiting to order PoD proof.
- Promethean 2nd – PDF and PoD versions are now available on DTRPG!
- Dawn of Heresies Mummy Novel – Gathering errata from KS backers, if we get any.
- Beast Condition Cards – Advance PDF version on sale this Wednesday.
- CofD Hurt Locker – Advance PDF version on sale next Wednesday, Dec 7th.
- Secrets of the Covenants – Advance PDF version on sale next Wednesday, Dec 7th.
- Cavaliers of Mars Jumpstart – PoD on sale next Wednesday, Dec 7th.
TODAY’S REASON TO DRINK: Jon Stewart’s birthday is today! His fake news was the best news.