After a week of knuckling down and trying to get caught up after Sandy (not completely up to date, but made a dent in it- thanks for asking) I went out last night to see Shatner’s World and very much enjoyed seeing a man whose message was “Say yes- take risks”. Eddy and I discussed the show, how good and energized Shatner looks and acts, and the effects of fan expectations- either to an actor who has made peace with being type-cast as a fan-favorite character, or for “nostalgia” editions of game books. Since Eddy had seen Skyfall over the weekend, these two entertainment moments gave us a chance to chatter on about the need for Anniversaries (Shatner’s 50 years performing, 50 years of Bond, next year’s 50 years of Dr Who and also, ahem, richt, and the 20th Anniversary Editions of VtM, WtA and the newly confirmed Mage the Ascension) and how you have to treat them with care. They need to be a celebration, they need to have the highest quality you can give them, and while you are giving a lot of thought to how to deliver all the parts that fans are expecting you should also be looking at how the anniversary event is also an opportunity to move things into the current era. Shatner has recreated himself past his roles and sometimes bad career choices to a place where just being him is an event, Eddy feels that Skyfall is actually the Bond 50th Anniversary Edition vs the 24th film in Bond canon and has set the stage for a Bond relevant to our times while celebrating the eras that came before, and a lot of my talks last week about Onyx Path projects were based around celebrating an older setting, but making it great to play now. Of course, I’m having a lot of talks with Phil Brucato about his development role on Mage20th, and I was having our very first discussions with Trinity Continuum uber-developer Ian Watson and (Trinity Continuum) Aeon developer John Snead about where we can take the whole Continuum in the years to come. More info on those specific projects as they continue to gestate. Currently:
- Silent Knife (VtR) and The God Machine Chronicle Fiction Anthology (nWoD) have been approved by CCP and I need to see PoD hard proofs- maybe this week?
- Left Handed Path (nMtA) is for sale at DriveThruRPG!
- Conventionbook: NWO (cMtA) is approved by CCP and a PoD version is on its way to me.
- God Machine Chronicle (nWoD) and Strix Chronicle Fiction Anthology (VtR) are getting written. GMC is almost done.
- Mummy the Curse is coming to me as a 2nd proof. Going to submit plans for the MtC Kickstarter to KS and hope they approve it ASAP. Things last week bogged this down, unfortunately.
- EX3 to say again: Slated for Feb 2013 now.
- V20 Hunters Hunted 2 is in Editing and Art Direction this week, and Anarchs Unbound is next on his slate as he sends out the outline to writers.
- Deluxe V20 Children of the Revolution in binding. The PDF and PoD versions is on sale at DriveThru RPG. If you didn’t get involved with the KS for this, now is your chance to pick up this beautiful and cool book. Justin and company went all out to present awesome characters, and the art is stunning.
- Deluxe Werewolf 20th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter is over I’m looking at preparing the surveys to get back to folks.
-Deluxe Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition has been confirmed for September-ish 2013!
Reason To Drink: KHAAAAN!!!