Well Met at Dragonmeet! [Monday Meeting Notes]
It is always so great to hear from our creative gang after they’ve returned from a convention that has really gone well, and the reports from Dapper Dave Brookshaw and Matthew Dawkins, The Gentleman Gamer, from Dragonmeet in London certainly sound like they had a great time! If memory serves me right, this is not the biggest UK convention, but it has been consistently growing and seems to have built up a very dedicated and friendly group of conventioneers.
Matthew and Dave hosted an Onyx Path panel and answered questions while handing out a box worth of our 2016-2017 Onyx Path brochures, and they tell me that folks there were thrilled to get their hands on them. The brochures, that is.
One of the things attendees mentioned was that they’d like to see smaller core books that are less intimidating to new players. Which is interesting as a lot of our thinking recently is making sure that while the long-time fan gets their compiled big book of love for the game line, we also provide ways for new players to get into the games as well.
Our line of Jumpstarts to go with the new editions are one way, and the way we were positioned with the WW license, that we’ve put into play these last few years, but you’ll also note that new games like Pugmire are slated to have smaller core books, and Scion 2e and the Trinity Continuum have two smaller books rather than a huge single book that you need to get started.
And now that we have actually made the massive volumes to restart, rejuvenate, and reintroduce, the WW game lines, we have more options as to what we can do as the lines develop. (In fact, when Eddy and I were planning what we called V4, a new edition of Vampire: the Masquerade, we were looking at ways to get the core book down below the size of the original VtM core book. With the new White Wolf Publishing having taken the design of the next edition in-house, we couldn’t continue with our edition, but I wouldn’t be surprised if V5 winds up as a smaller book or set of smaller books).
Speaking of our friends at the new White Wolf Publishing, some of you may have received a survey from them asking for your info and thoughts on a variety of topics. A lot of you may not have though, as their surveys are going out to people depending on which mailing list they are on. This week, it is our turn, and we’ll be sending the WW Survey to the subscribers of the Onyx Path Mailing List at around 6pm EST tomorrow, Tuesday the 6th. So if you want to send them your thoughts, make sure you sign up for our list before the WW Survey goes out!
The sign up spot is right there on the right side of the page —->
We’re exploring card game Kickstarters, packaging, and components, for Prince’s Gambit. Right now, this will be pushed back further because we need to get the KS video, which will also feature the example of play, done. Right now, we are scheduling doing that the week before the holidays kick in. So the Monarchies of Mau KS may be our next.
The folks who are working with us on the Scion 2e LARP rules, Damocles Thread Development, are running a Kickstarter right now for their card based game of community theater drama, hijinks, and betrayal called Curtain Call. It looks to be a fun party game, with a line-up of fake plays you need to put on like Big Box Store of Horrors or Nightmare on 34th Street. (Full disclosure: the gang asked me to do the playbill cover art for Nightmare on 34th Street, a mashup of Nightmare Before Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street!) If all the crazy hijinks that go into pulling together a stage production are your thing, check it out and get your name in lights: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/205007809/curtain-call-2
Keep an eye on our FB, Twitter, and other social media, for sales and deals during this holiday season!!!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: http://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
We open the locker this Wednesday; the Chronicles of Darkness: Hurt Locker, that is! The Advance PDF will be available on DTRPG this Wednesday the 7th!
Discover the long-awaited Secrets of the Covenants for Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition this Wednesday as we unearth the Advance PDF on DTRPG!
And for a physical book, this week we travel all the way to the Red Planet for the Cavaliers of Mars Jumpstart: A Festival of Blades, available in PDF and PoD this Wednesday!
We have now added a B&W PoD version of the Endless Ages Vampire Anthology to the existing full color PDF and PoD choices! Celebrating 25 years of personal horror, the eighteen stories in Endless Ages range in style and aesthetics from the very first edition of Vampire released in 1991, all the way to the latest books put out for the 20th Anniversary Edition. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/193199/V20-The-Endless-Ages-Anthology
Seek the Cainite Conspiracies, the fiction anthology for V20 Dark Ages, in PDF and PoD physical book formats! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/195704/V20-The-Cainite-Conspiracies-Anthology
This collection of short stories features tales by Vampire developers such as Justin Achilli, Eddy Webb, David A. Hill, Jr., and Neall Raemonn Price along with award-winning horror authors including Maurice Broaddus, Catherine Lundoff, and Richard Dansky.
Here are the Beast Condition Cards Advance PDF version. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/198773/Beast-The-Primordial-Condition-Cards
Part of the Beast: the Primordial rules and a handy and elegant way to keep track of and incorporate Conditions into your Chronicle, Conditions add an additional layer of consequence and reward to certain actions in the World of Darkness. Various things within the course of a game can cause Conditions. These include exceptional successes, supernatural abilities, and really any situation where the Storyteller thinks they can be used to heighten the drama of a game.
Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition comes to life in both PDF and PoD physical book versions NOW on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/189395/Promethean-the-Created-2nd-Edition
You are a pilgrim now, one of the Created. You rose to life from dead flesh or inert matter, under the ministrations of one of your own, or a mad scientist, or perhaps just the power of the Divine Fire. You wander the world, sometimes alone, sometimes in the blessed company of your own kind, driven by memories of events and facts you never knew, all in the service of one Great Work…
…to be human.
Humans don’t make it easy, though. The Divine Fire that animates you burns too bright, blinds people, and scorches the land if you linger too long. It masks your disfigurements and makes you appear human, but that mask slips and people see your hideous, true form. The Pilgrimage is a long, difficult road, but it is yours, and you know, somehow, that the salvation of the New Dawn waits at the end.
This book contains:
- The complete guide to playing a Promethean in the Chronicles of Darkness
- Reimagined Lineages and Refinements, and a redesigned system for Transmutations
- A more detailed approached to the Pilgrimage that presents players with more control over their characters’ path
- New challenges on the road to humanity, including deranged, greedy alchemists
With a snarl, W20 Shattered Dreams is now on sale on DTRPG in both PDF and PoD versions! Grrrrrrr! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194649/W20-Shattered-Dreams
The Past Laid Bare
Shattered Dreams presents an in-depth look at the prehistory of the Garou and Changing Breeds, including both the threats they had to face before circumstances drove them to war and the War of Rage itself. Rather than one answer, it showcases many time periods and many ways in which the War could start, so that players and Storytellers can make prehistory their own. It also presents the circumstances surrounding the Second War of Rage, giving players the chance to take part, either as Garou Conquistadores or as the Fera desperately trying to fight off an invasion. Finally, the included chronicle structure allows modern characters to visit these crucial moments of history in an effort to stop the Wyrm’s most powerful minions.
Shattered Dreams contains:
• The first ever look at the World of Darkness before the War of Rage.
• The ways the Wars of Rage could start, and how enterprising characters could change what happened.
• Two chronicle frameworks that bring modern characters to the past, replete with new Abilities and new Storytelling tools that make the players the center of much larger stories.
With a howl, W20 Kinfolk: A Breed Apart will be on sale on DTRPG in both PDF and PoD formats! Awooooo! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194952/W20-Kinfolk-A-Breed-Apart
Born to Run
The Garou are born of two kinds: humans and wolves. These are their Kinfolk — those “of the blood.” These special people — whether of two legs or four — carry in them the hope of the Garou: the promise of future generations. Although Garou are born to Kinfolk, nobody knows they’re different until they undergo their First Change. Until such a blessed (or cursed) time, they are just like their more mundane Kin. Most live as humans, suffering the foibles of humanity, all the while hoping they’re secretly special, that they harbor the wolf within. Even though that wolf will never howl for the majority of Kin, they’ve still got a vital role in the war, aiding the effort from behind the lines.
Kinfolk: A Breed Apart contains:
- Overview of the Kinfolk, both kenning and callow, including some of the Fellowships founded by Kinfolk to aid the Garou cause — and to protect themselves from their cousins’ Rage.
- Character creation for playing Kinfolk, including new Skills, Backgrounds, Merits and Flaws, as well as special Kin rites, Gifts, and fetishes.
- Guidelines for running Kinfolk chronicles, as well as in-depth information on the Kin-Fetches, the unique spirits used by Garou to watch over their distant cousins and warn the tribes if one of them should undergo the First Change.
NOTE: If you have already purchased the Advance PDF, you will be automatically updated to the final PDF and receive a link to enable you to purchase the PoD at a discount designed so that your total price matches our usual PDF and Print combo offer.
Onyx Path will be at Mid Winter Con 2017 in January in the lovely city of Milwaukee. Come brave the cold wastes to game and cavort with us! Please keep an eye out on the MidWinter site for announcements as to our very special beta test and Play With The Creator special events! http://www.midwintergamingconvention.com/
And now, the new project status updates!
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- V20 Dark Ages Jumpstart (Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Cookbook (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- GtS Geist 2e core (Geist: the Sin-Eaters Second Edition)
- VtR Half-Damned (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- Kithbook Boggans (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- CtD C20 Jumpstart (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Ex Novel 2 by Aaron Rosenberg (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Scion: Origins (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- BtP Beast Player’s Guide (Beast: the Primordial)
- The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Cavaliers of Mars
- Wraith: the Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition
- BtP Building a Legend (Beast: the Primordial)
- CtD C20 Anthology (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- W20 Changing Ways (Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- SL The Wise and the Wicked (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Ring of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Ring of Spiragos (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Dagger of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Dagger of Spiragos (5e– Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Arms of the Chosen (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- VtR A Thousand Years of Night (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- V20 Beckett’s Jyhad Diary (Stretch Goal Content)
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, featuring the Huntsmen Chronicle (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition) RT: My bad last week, as I thought this was the CtL2 book went to editing already.
- CtL fiction anthology (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
- Dark Eras Companion
- Beckett’s Jyhad Diary
- Prince’s Gambit – AD’d
- C20 – Still dealing with artist shenanigans.
- M20 Book of Secrets
- W20 Pentex Employee Indoctrination Handbook
- V20 Dark Ages Companion
- Mortal Remains – Beast – Getting an artist to do it up
- EX3 Jumpstart – AD’d.
- Necropolis Rio
- Promethean 2 Condition Cards
- V20 Lore of the Bloodlines
- SL Wise and Wicked Update
- Beast Conquering Heroes
- Ex 3 Screen – Finished at the Printer.
- Ex 3 core book – From RichT: manufacturing continues. I’m told the two bound samples with covers are coming this week. But we’ve heard that before… and we are hearing it again.
- Beast RMCs – PDF and PoD versions on sale next Wednesday, the 14th.
- V20 DA Tome of Secrets – Waiting to order PoD proof.
- Dawn of Heresies Mummy Novel – Wrapping up errata from KS backers.
- Beast Condition Cards – Advance PDF version on sale, gathering errata.
- CofD Hurt Locker – Advance PDF version on sale Wednesday, Dec 7th.
- Secrets of the Covenants – Advance PDF version on sale Wednesday, Dec 7th.
- Cavaliers of Mars Jumpstart – PoD on sale Wednesday, Dec 7th.
- Revised Reap The Whirlwind Jumpstart – Advance PDF on sale next Wednesday, the 14th.
TODAY’S REASON TO DRINK: Happy BDay Mimi. Mbely.