After the craziness of the last couple of weeks, we kind of looked around and realized that Onyx Path has a lot of things that are Almost There. I feel like there are always too many, but that’s me- and when I look at what we’ve accomplished in these last two years, I get less teeth-gritty. But there’s still so much good stuff we are so close to getting out to you all. Mirthful Mike is scrambling to get Mortal Remains for Hunter the Vigil out this month still, while he juggles inputting the last changes on Cursed Necropolis DC for Mummy, and the Demon Players Guide. We almost got the Deluxe Book of the Wyrm KS out this month, but that’s not going to happen until May now. We almost have the Trinity/Scion System worked out and ready for community feedback, and the EX3 Devs are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel in the writing of EX3. Almost. We almost have the 2015 WW Schedule reconfigured and the new nWoD supernatural game line approved by CCP.
And that’s just the stuff that has visibility and is far enough along the delivery is going to happen…soon. Almost there.
Talked to Eddy who is still acting Approval Guy (real title) between Onyx Path and CCP. Which is really awesome for us. He has already caught a few things in Mortal Remains that slipped past all 16 eyes that have been looking at that proof. Mostly punctuation, as he is, oddly, obsessed with commas, and, stuff. In regards to the creation of projects, we discussed the importance of giving the right writers and artists the sorts of assignments that they are best suited for, and avoiding giving folks work that they might have personal qualms about working on. Back in the day, I wouldn’t have assigned John Cobb to draw beautiful, seductive scenes or characters as he excelled at the odd and twisted. Since writers inhabit the worlds they write about, there are some awful things that we need to talk about in a dark and horrific WoD book that some writers just can’t have in their heads as they’re writing. It’s a good developer who knows what writers are right for which topics. Which is something Eddy just went through with Blood Diaries of the Clans as he made sure to assign the chapters for each Clan to the most appropriate writers.
Eddy also reviewed the new nWoD game for 2015 on behalf of CCP. We talked a bit about my feeling that each nWoD game line needs to add to the experience of what WoD is for current players, but to also expand the audience by touching on themes that might not exist in previous game lines. Demon: The Descent does this by pulling a bit of science fiction genre motifs and themes, while still remaining firmly supernatural. The new one has been called “subversive”, so we’ll see if it delivers that once the book is assembled next year.
Projects That Are Chock Full of Almost, and Some That Are Full Speed Ahead:
- Mummy the Curse - Cursed Necropolis DC- final proof to CCP for their approval.
- Book of the Deceived (MtC): Redlines.
- Exalted 3rd Edition: From Holden: Lore is (finally) wrapping up in the next couple of days, leaving only Craft and then the playtest-based combat and social cleanups. (Lore has been very challenging, as Charms are extensions of use-of-the-Ability, and Lore is both very broad and very ‘passive.’) Craft is the Charm set’s last hurdle– we’re very aware that people found playing Craft-focused characters frustrating in the last two editions, and we want it to be both fun and rewarding now, without unbalancing the setting and drowning it in artifacts. Evocations are still being written and tweaked– we’re testing as we write. The rest of the book is being pulled together and pushed into editing, and Chapter Three (character creation) is receiving some minor final alterations this week based on the Phase One and Phase Two playtest feedback.
Getting Survey prepared to send to backers.
Zub’s EX3 Comic was sent to KS backers last week, and in a couple of weeks we’ll get both the PDF and PoD versions up on DTRPG for sale. Both EX3 novels are being worked on, and I have a synopsis from Matt Forbeck to review. Starting to get one of the EX3 Music Suites to a finished state, the Dragon Blooded theme but our composer got caught in a time crunch with another project which is why we haven’t gotten much done lately.
- V20 Hunters Hunted 2: Lists of all missing packages have been sent off to the shippers and I’m fielding their questions.
- V20 Anarchs Unbound : The PDF+ files and Survey were sent to backers last week. Getting comments back before we create final PDF, and PoD and Deluxe print files. One thing to point out to non-backers: the PDF also included an ePub version specifically designed to work on tablets and mobile devices- which is the first time we have tried to do this with a tabletop RPG book. There are very specific changes to how we do design of the books in order to create an ePub version, and we’re very interested in the response.
- V20 Rites of the Blood: is ready for layout, but layout is not yet ready for it, waiting on one artist for finals.
- V20 Dark Ages: Scribes are scribing 2nd Drafts. David Hill has delivered some art notes.
- V20: Ghouls: In redlines.
- V20 Red List: In final draft stage.
- The Making of the Art of Children of the Revolution: Out to backers who pledged for it. Creating PoD files to go with PDF for sale on DTRPG.
- Deluxe Werewolf 20th Anniversary Edition: Lists of all missing packages have been sent off to the shippers and I’m fielding their questions. The Heavy Metal Deluxe W20 is done and has been sent to the shipper. Mike Lee has a new batch of chapters of the W20 “Houses of the Moon” novel for Bill to review. The White Howlers Tribe Book is in dev review. W20 Wyld West is almost done in layout (needs an assembled cover and the Chapter Openers created- that burned wood look can be tricky).
- W20 Changing Breeds PDF and PoD versions are on sale at DTRPG! The Deluxes are being finished at press. The Changing Breeds Fiction Anthology needs a logo but is almost finished in layout
- W20 Book of the Wyrm is in layout. This will be the next Kickstarter project in a week or two if everything times out as expected. We think this book should appeal to W20 and W20 Changing Breeds fans alike. Getting this KS together, bit of a delay with the stuff happening mentioned above which just cut into prep time- but the KS video is almost done.
- W20: The Umbra: In second drafts.
- Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition- had a great talk with Satyr Phil and the Onyx Path gang and we were able to schedule the next books after M20- but finishing that developmentally is still the primary job for Phil and Bill. The Character Pack book and the “How Do You DO That?” book look like the first two next projects up.
- Mage 20 Quickstart: Being printed, we want to get it done and shipped in time for Free RPG Day.
- Trinity Continuum: New System ideas continue being hammered out. Hoping to see combat examples as the System Doc gets finished up.
- Scion: New Systems discussion continue. Both Scion and the TC above are now moving into active mode for 2014. Contracts and art notes out for the Scion: Origins cover.
- Demon: The Descent: Demon is now available in PDF/PoD/PDF&PoD combo versions. The Demon: Ready Made Characters PDF link has been sent to backers- getting ready to set the PDF and PoD versions for sale on DTRPG. Demon Seed Collection is in redlines. DtD Seattle is also in redlines. Heirs to Hell is in editing and art direction. Demon Translation Guide is being written. The Demon Fiction Anthology + Interfaces is in first drafts.
- DtD Players Guide: Flowers Of Hell: In layout.
- Hunter: Mortal Remains: Is in layout- see above, it’s almost ready for putting the PDF up on DTRPG.
- nWoD: Dark Eras: Second drafts coming in.
- WtF: The Idigam Chronicle: All but two first drafts are in- others are in redlines. Keep an eye on the blogs and forums here- lots of good discussion happening right now: http://theonyxpath.com/category/projects/werewolftheforsaken/
- GtSE: Geist Ready Made Characters: In redlines.
- Also: nWoD Skull and Scion Pantheon shirts now on the RedBubble T-shirt site and soon to be joined by a Mage 20th logo shirt, and some special extras Mage shirts next week.
Reason to Drink: Teenagers who sing in the shower.