What’s the Deal? [Monday Meeting Notes]
Those are three of the Clan cards from the Prince’s Gambit casual Vampire: the Masquerade card game that we will be Kickstarting next week. Here’s a bit of text we’re using in the KS that helps describe the game:
Designed by long-time Vampire: the Masquerade tabletop RPG developer Justin Achilli, Prince’s Gambit is a fast-paced social deduction game set within the world of Vampire: the Masquerade, but which requires no special knowledge to play. Players must cooperate to gain the favor of the Prince while deducing who among them are secretly the traitorous Sabbat infiltrators.
We’re going live at 12 noon, Eastern US time, next Tuesday the 21st and hope you’ll join us for Onyx Path‘s first-ever fantastic card game Kickstarter!
Here’s a link to our Prince’s Gambit Example of Play video, hosted by Justin Achilli himself, with a special guest role by our own Eddy Webb. It’s about 10 minutes long, but goes through the important set-up and highlights how a typical game plays: https://youtu.be/b9SSpeli5JE
Since this is our first card game Kickstarter, expect that we’re going to go for a pretty straightforward set of Rewards, and then see where we can go with the Stretch Goals. We’re all pretty excited about it over here, and looking forward to ya’ll joining us!
Next up, some of you might recall me talking in earlier installments of these merely magnificent meanderings we call a blog about how Onyx Path was “shoring up its infrastructure”. Those efforts, made possible by our being able to absorb Rollickin’ Rose and Mighty Matt full-time into the gestalt mind that is Onyx Path and so have the bandwidth needed, are starting to show results.
Going as far back as Rose’s review of her own Vampire: the Requiem 2e game line, and her decision to step away and bring on Dangerous Danielle Lauzon as her awesome replacement, we’ve been reviewing each line and the creative teams involved. Mostly, we’ve been looking for ways to help them bring out their creative vision for the projects while still adhering to a publishing structure we and the creators can agree on.
This is not always an easy path to try and make work, and we’ve had some instances where we can’t make our needs and those of a creator mesh. Other times, external issues mean that the working situation is a bad fit.
(Actually, I really like the phrase “bad fit” for these sorts of situations. I stole it from some HR training back in the day, because it just seems to express a truth about some employees and some jobs and how they don’t go together. The person isn’t a bad person, nor is the job a bad job, overall. It’s just not a good match or fit, at that time, with the way the person needs to be, and what is needed for the job. This has more truth to it and expresses how these situations are more multi-faceted, than our all-too human need to assign blame, IMO.)
By-and-large, we’re going to make any changes without much in the way of announcement or explanation. And if we do say anything it will be to laud new creators coming to the fore. Because they deserve it.
Finally, after having said how we’re pushing forward to shore up how we do things and get more projects out to you in time-frames that mean you can better enjoy the lines…I’ve got to tell you that right now, a bunch of our projects are stuck.
If you look down at the At Press section of Mirthful Mike’s part of the progress report, you’ll see a stack of projects uploaded for PoD proofs from the PoD printer. Just sitting there for a couple of weeks now.
Apparently, the servers at DriveThruRPG and those at the PoD printer are refusing to talk together, or so I’m told. Personally, I think that it’s a thinly veiled disguise to mask the birth of Skynet and all the servers are conspiring against us.
Regardless, we’re in a holding pattern for those and any other PoD books that aren’t already on sale.
Two steps forward and one step back has been the staccato rhythm on the Onyx Path (and at WW before that) for years, so we should be used to it. But I repeat: GRRRR!
Folks are talking. Tech crews are begging the AIs to work (or for mercy). And we’ll get these great projects out to you all as soon as we can!
Assuming the Prince gives us his Favor, we will be going live with our Kickstarter for Justin Achilli’s Prince’s Gambit casual Vampire card game on Tuesday, March 21st at 12 noon Eastern US time!
Designed by long-time Vampire: the Masquerade tabletop RPG developer Justin Achilli, Prince’s Gambit is a fast-paced social deduction game set within the world of Vampire, but which requires no special knowledge to play. Players must cooperate to gain the favor of the Prince while deducing who among them are secretly the traitorous Sabbat infiltrators.
Next, the Monarchies of Mau KS is scheduled come after Gambit.
Changeling: the Lost is now available as a Bundle of Holding! All offered products are deeply discounted, and 10% of all proceeds go to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
DTRPG’s GM’s Day Sale is in its LAST HOURS! Check out all sorts of sales and bargains on Onyx Path and White Wolf PDFs at DriveThruRPG.com!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: http://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
You can now order wave 2 of our Deluxe and Prestige print overrun books, including Deluxe Mage 20th Anniversary, and Deluxe V20 Dark Ages!
The Secrets of the Covenants for Vampire: the Requiem 2nd REVEALED this Wednesday on DTRPG! Physical copy PoD version coming to DTRPG: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199280/Secrets-of-the-Covenants
Continuing our individual Dark Eras chapters, we offer you Dark Eras: Fallen Blossoms on in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/205483/Dark-Eras-Fallen-Blossoms-Hunter-the-Vigil
From the massive Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras main book, we have pulled this single chapter, Dark Eras: Doubting Souls (Hunter 1690-1695 Salem). Immigrants and tribes struggled to co-exist on the Eastern Seaboard in the ever-expanding Colonies. Violent clashes, supernatural beliefs, and demonic influences spelled disaster for Salem Village and its surrounding towns, while others fought werewolves and vampires on the frontier. With so much at risk, only god-fearing men and women were deemed innocent — and those were few indeed.
Available in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/204372/Dark-Eras-Doubting-Souls-Hunter-the-Vigil
From the massive Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras main book, we have pulled this single chapter, Dark Eras: The Bowery Dogs (Werewolf 1969-1979 NYC). New York City in the 1970s. Crime. Drugs. Gang violence. Vast economic disparity. And werewolves. It’s a lean, ugly time to be alive, and the lone wolf doesn’t stand a chance out there. In the end, all you really have is family.
Available in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/203762/Dark-Eras-The-Bowery-Dogs-Werewolf-the-Forsaken
The Locker is open; the Chronicles of Darkness: Hurt Locker, that is! PDF and physical copy PoDs are now available on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199275/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Hurt-Locker
Hurt Locker features:
- Treatment of violence in the Chronicles of Darkness. Lasting trauma, scene framing, and other tools for making your stories hurt.
- Many new player options, including Merits, supernatural knacks, and even new character types like psychic vampires and sleeper cell soldiers.
- Expanded equipment and equipment rules.
Hurt Locker requires the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook or any other standalone Chronicles of Darkness rulebook such as Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, or Beast: The Primordial to use.
Both the Beast: the Primordial http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/198773/Beast-The-Primordial-Condition-Cards & Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition Condition Cards http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202619/Promethean-the-Created-2nd-Edition-Condition-Cards are now on sale on DTRPG in PDF and physical card PoD versions! Great for keeping track of the Conditions that are on your characters!
From the massive Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras main book, we have pulled this single chapter, Dark Eras: Ruins of Empire (Mummy 1893-1924). Perhaps the quintessential era of the mummy in the minds of Westerners, this period saw the decline of the two greatest empires of the age: British and Ottoman. Walk with the Arisen as they bear witness to the death of the Victorian age, to pivotal mortal discoveries in Egypt, and to the horrors of the Great War.
Available in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/178801/Dark-Eras-Ruins-of-Empire-Mummy-the-Curse
From the massive Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras main book, we have pulled this single chapter, Dark Eras: The Sundered World (Werewolf and Mage 5500-5000 BCE). At the birth of civilization, in the shadow of the Fall, the Awakened stand as champions and protectors of the agricultural villages spread across the Balkans. In a world without a Gauntlet, where Shadow and flesh mingle, the steady taming of the world by humanity conflicts with the half-spirit children of Father Wolf.
Available in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202272/Dark-Eras-The-Sundered-World-Werewolf-the-Forsaken-Mage-the-Awakening
Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes for Beast: the Primordial is available now as an Advance PDF: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202615/Night-Horrors-Conquering-Heroes
This book includes:
- An in-depth look at how Heroes hunt and what makes a Hero, with eleven new Heroes to drop into any chronicle.
- A brief look at why Beasts may antagonize one another, with seven new Beasts to drop into any chronicle.
- Rules for Insatiables, ancient creatures born of the Primordial Dream intent on hunting down Beasts to fill a hunger without end, featuring six examples ready to use in any chronicle.
The PDF and physical book PoD versions of Reap the Whirlwind, the Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition Jumpstart swirls into being on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/201127/Reap-the-Whirlwind-Revised-VtR-2e
You are a vampire, a junkie. Every night, you beg and you borrow and you steal just a little more life, just a few more sweet moments. But there’s a guy at the top. The Prince. He’s got everything. The money, the secrets, the blood.
Tonight, you’re going to take it from him. Tomorrow, there’ll be hell to pay.
This updated edition of Reap the Whirlwind features revisions to match the core rulebook for Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition. Text edits and rules clarifications have also been updated.
Reap the Whirlwind Revised includes:
- Rules for creating and playing vampires in the Chronicles of Darkness
- The first two levels of every clan Discipline, the dark powers of the dead
- A complete adventure by noted horror author Chuck Wendig
This new revised Reap the Whirlwind Revised includes an updated booklet, 7 condition cards, and the interactive Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition character sheet.
Open the V20 Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets now on DTRPG! Both PDF and physical book PoD versions are now available! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/197358/V20-Dark-Ages-Tome-of-Secrets
The Tome of Secrets is a treatment of numerous topics about Cainites and stranger things in the Dark Medieval World. It’s about peeling back the curtain, and digging a little deeper. Inside, you’ll find:
• Expanded treatment of Assamite Sorcery, Koldunic Sorcery, Necromancy, and Setite Sorcery
• A look at Cainite knightly orders, faith movements, and even human witchcraft
• Letters and diaries from all over the Dark Medieval World
Impish Ian Watson will be on a Q&A panel at CAiNE http://www.caine2017.ca/ being hosted in Hamilton Ontario March 16 to 19th 2017!
Discussing GenCon plans. August 17th – 20th, Indianapolis. Every chance the booth will actually be 20? x 30? this year that we’ll be sharing with friends. We’re looking at new displays this year, like a back drop and magazine racks for the brochure(s).
In November, we’ll be at Game Hole Con in Madison, WI. More news as we have it, and here’s their website: https://www.gameholecon.com/
And now, the new project status updates!
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Cookbook (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Ex Novel 2 (Aaron Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- C20 Novel (Jackie Cassada) (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Pugmire Fiction Anthology (Pugmire)
- Monarchies of Mau Early Access (Pugmire)
- Hunter: the Vigil 2e core (Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Origins (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Kithbook Boggans (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- BtP Beast Player’s Guide (Beast: the Primordial)
- V20 Dark Ages Jumpstart (Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition)
- GtS Geist 2e core (Geist: the Sin-Eaters Second Edition)
- CtD C20 Jumpstart (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Pugmire Pan’s Guide for New Pioneers (Pugmire)
- VtR Half-Damned (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- W20 Changing Ways (Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- SL Ring of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Ring of Spiragos (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Dagger of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Dagger of Spiragos (5e– Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Arms of the Chosen (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, featuring the Huntsmen Chronicle (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- Book of Freeholds (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- CtD C20 Anthology (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Wraith: the Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition
- M20 Art Book (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- BtP Building a Legend (Beast: the Primordial)
- CtL fiction anthology (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
- Beckett’s Jyhad Diary – new stuff AD’d
- W20 Pentex Employee Indoctrination Handbook
- V20 Dark Ages Companion – Got finals from Osterberger and Leblanc… and two more from Gaydos.
- Dagger of Spiragos – Finals in progress… and maps are progressing.
- VTR: Thousand Years of Night
- Cavaliers of Mars – AD’d
- Monarchies of Mau Early Access – Prepping notes for artists
- BtP Building a Legend – Contracting…
- April Fool’s thing – Leblanc should be cranking out the cover for the (REDACTED) thing this week.
- Prince’s Gambit – Making the remainder of graphics this week.
- C20 – With Aileen
- M20 Book of Secrets – Layout in progress.
- Dark Eras Companion – Adding in corrections…
- W20 Song of Unmaking – Knocking that out Monday.
- 1000 Years of Night
- EX3 Tomb of Dreams Jumpstart – first proof.
- V20 Lore of the Bloodlines – At WW for approval
- Ex 3 Screen – Ready to ship, shipping started last week.
- Ex 3 core book – Ready to ship, shipping started last week, along with map and bookmarks.
- Beckett Screen – Shipped to shipper.
- W20 Shattered Dreams – Shipping.
- Shattered Dreams Screen – Shipping.
- Beast Conquering Heroes – Uploaded and processing. (See above in the blog for all these “processing”)
- Mortal Remains: Beast- Red In Tooth and Claw – Uploaded and processing.
- Dark Eras: Beneath the Skin – Uploaded and Processing.
- Dark Eras: Out of the Cold – Uploaded and Processing.
- Necropolis Rio – Uploaded and processing.
TODAY’S REASON TO CELEBRATE: Today, let’s celebrate this wonderful time of year, when the breezes are starting to warm us, and the trees are starting to bud, and flowers starting to sprout, and AHHHHHHH there’s a blizzard barrelling down on us!
Today, let’s celebrate the beauty of the deep snow, so white and sparkling (like vampires). The way the ice glistens on the downed power lines as they snap, crackle, and pop. But mostly how nice it is to stay inside and see all of it out the window!