When In Doubt, Time To Play! [Monday Meeting Notes]
Things have gotten a little crazy here in the US over the last week, and I don’t know about all of you, but my need to work on game worlds and settings has been amped up. Not necessarily to retreat from the real world, but to recharge and to have a less confusing place to take a breath and get my thoughts together. Being lucky enough to create these worlds is how I do engage, but I’m sure a fair number of you also are feeling like playing and GMing.
I didn’t draw all these over the last week, it took months, but here’s a couple of pics of my Pugmire characters wall in my office:
Some people like to look at dogs being cute on Facebook when stressed, I like to draw dogs in a fantasy game. What can I say?
Next, we have a bit of good timing in that if you are looking for some game books to read as your stress-buster, as I just ordered the PoD proofs for W20 Kinfolk, W20 Shattered Dreams, Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition, Beast Ready Made Characters, the V20 Dark Ages fiction anthology Cainite Conspiracies, and the b&w version of The Endless Ages Vampire the Masquerade fiction anthology. (Which we added to the existing color PDF and PoD versions as a lower cost option.)
This means we are going to have weeks where we release these books as the PoDs are cleared all the way up to the Christmas holidays. Woohoo!
And let me remind you that if you do want to order physical book PODs from DTRPG, or Deluxe and Prestige books from IPR, or shirts and stuff from our RedBubble store as gifts for yourself or any loved ones that you count in shipping time if you want them before Christmas day. The calendar is blurring past.
Finally, a very good bit of good news: I am overjoyed to announce that Mighty Matt McElroy is joining Onyx Path full time as Operations Director as of next week. Matt has been a good friend to Onyx since the idea began rattling around in my head, and has been pivotal in helping the company get started with his experienced advice. Now he is coming onboard to oversee all the various working parts of Onyx Path and to make sure they are all working well together and communicating.
As we continue to grow, Matt’s knowledge of how the tabletop RPG business works through various sales venues, including getting books into stores, will be vital for us to be able do so without busting our already challenged teams of creators. (He also takes over a bunch of the internal company stuff I was doing so that I can concentrate on our company goals and creative direction again). Here’s the official press release: http://theonyxpath.com/onyx-path-publishing-welcomes-matt-mcelroy-as-operations-director/
Please join me in welcoming Matt along for this craaaazy ride!
We’re exploring card game Kickstarters, packaging, and components, for Prince’s Gambit.
Until late Tuesday the 15th, we have a 20% off sale at RedBubble! Use code “perfect20-TheOnyxPath” for 20% off on our t-shirts, other apparel, and merchandise. http://www.redbubble.com/people/theonyxpath
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: http://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
With a howl, W20 Kinfolk: A Breed Apart will be on sale on DTRPG Wednesday in both PDF and PoD formats! Awooooo! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194952/W20-Kinfolk-A-Breed-Apart
Born to Run
The Garou are born of two kinds: humans and wolves. These are their Kinfolk — those “of the blood.” These special people — whether of two legs or four — carry in them the hope of the Garou: the promise of future generations. Although Garou are born to Kinfolk, nobody knows they’re different until they undergo their First Change. Until such a blessed (or cursed) time, they are just like their more mundane Kin. Most live as humans, suffering the foibles of humanity, all the while hoping they’re secretly special, that they harbor the wolf within. Even though that wolf will never howl for the majority of Kin, they’ve still got a vital role in the war, aiding the effort from behind the lines.
Kinfolk: A Breed Apart contains:
- Overview of the Kinfolk, both kenning and callow, including some of the Fellowships founded by Kinfolk to aid the Garou cause — and to protect themselves from their cousins’ Rage.
- Character creation for playing Kinfolk, including new Skills, Backgrounds, Merits and Flaws, as well as special Kin rites, Gifts, and fetishes.
- Guidelines for running Kinfolk chronicles, as well as in-depth information on the Kin-Fetches, the unique spirits used by Garou to watch over their distant cousins and warn the tribes if one of them should undergo the First Change.
NOTE: If you have already purchased the Advance PDF, you will be automatically updated to the final PDF and receive a link to enable you to purchase the PoD at a discount designed so that your total price matches our usual PDF and Print combo offer.
Exalted 3rd Edition Charm Cards! In PDF and PoD physical card sets! Back on sale this week on DTRPG!
There are a lot of cards, and we have to offer them alphabetically through three sets:
Set 1: Archery – Investigation http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/192228/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Charm-Cards-Set-1
Set 2: Larceny – Resistance http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/192229/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Charm-Cards-Set-2
You’ll need all three sets to have all of them.
You can also order them by individual Charm type on the site.
For sale in PDF, ebook, and physical book editions at DTRPG.com: The Endless Ages fiction anthology! Vampire: the Masquerade fiction featuring all-new, original, stories written to evoke the distinct feeling of each of VtM‘s four editions! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/193199/V20-The-Endless-Ages-Anthology
Celebrating 25 years of personal horror, the eighteen stories in Endless Ages range in style and aesthetics from the very first edition of Vampire released in 1991, all the way to the latest books put out for the 20th Anniversary Edition.
“The Becoming” has stories grounded in the lonely struggle for morality. “Gothic-Punk” stories focus on sensuality and the conflict between young and ancient vampires. “Signs of Gehenna” shows what happens to Kindred society as it teeters on the edge of apocalypse. Finally, “Modern Nights” juxtaposes all of these concepts to present a comfortable illusion of status quo in a world of conspiracy.
NOW the long awaited opportunity to own Mage: the Awakening 2nd Edition as a physical book is at last at hand! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/181754/Mage-the-Awakening-2nd-Edition
You are a mage, one of the Wise. You see, know, and explore what others can’t imagine, from the depths of the human soul to the hidden corners of reality. Armed with your spells, driven by an addiction to Mysteries, you delve into the secrets of the world. Knowledge has a price, and the dangers are many.
This book contains:
- The complete guide to playing a mage in the Chronicles of Darkness.
- Reimagined Paths, Orders, and powers to create your Awakened characters and their allies, including an updated version of the most comprehensive free-form magic system in gaming.
- Five example settings across the world, from Los Angeles to Salamanca, each with a central Mystery.
- A brand-new look at all the strange places of the Fallen World, from the Lower Depths to the Emanation Realms, and what mages might find within.
Now available from DriveThruRPG in PDF: Mage: The Awakening Condition and Numina Cards.
Part of the new Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition rules, Conditions add an additional layer of consequence and reward to certain actions in the Chronicles of Darkness.
Various things within the course of a game can cause Conditions. These include exceptional successes, supernatural abilities, and really any situation where the Storyteller thinks they can be used to heighten the drama of a game.
Also available in this deck are brand new Numina cards featuring these rules from the Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition rulebook for ease of reference at the table.
Onyx Path will be at Mid Winter Con 2017 in January in the lovely city of Milwaukee. Come brave the cold wastes to game and cavort with us! Please keep an eye out on the MidWinter site for announcements as to our very special beta test and Play With The Creator special events! http://www.midwintergamingconvention.com/
Matthew “Gentleman Gamer” Dawkins and Dapper Dave Brookshaw will be representing Onyx Path at Dragonmeet in London on Saturday, Dec 3rd, so if you are in the area and want to have a chat with either of those gentlemen, please do pop by and say cheerio!
And now, the new project status updates!
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- V20 Dark Ages Jumpstart (Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Cookbook (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- GtS Geist 2e core
- VtR Half-Damned (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- Kithbook Boggans (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- CtD C20 Jumpstart
- Ex Novel 2 by Aaron Rosenberg
- Scion: Origins (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- BtP Beast Player’s Guide (Beast: the Primordial)
- CtD C20 Anthology (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Cavaliers of Mars
- Wraith: the Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition
- VtR A Thousand Years of Night (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- BtP Building a Legend (Beast: the Primordial)
- V20 Beckett’s Jyhad Diary (Stretch Goal Content)
- W20 Changing Ways (Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, featuring the Huntsmen Chronicle (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- SL The Wise and the Wicked (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Ring of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Ring of Spiragos (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Dagger of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Dagger of Spiragos (5e– Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Arms of the Chosen (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- EX3 Jumpstart (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- CtL fiction anthology (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
- Dark Eras Companion
- Beckett’s Jyhad Diary
- V20 Lore of the Bloodlines
- SL Wise and Wicked Update
- Prince’s Gambit
- M20 Book of Secrets
- W20 Pentex Employee Indoctrination Handbook
- V20 Dark Ages Companion
- Necropolis Rio
- Beast Condition Cards
- Beast Conquering Heroes
- Secrets of the Covenants
- Mummy Novel
- CofD Hurt Locker
- Ex 3 Screen – Finished at the Printer.
- Ex 3 core book – From RichT: manufacturing continues. Still need two bound samples with covers, coming soon I’m told. Still coming! And still coming!
- Kinfolk – on sale Wednesday on DTRPG.
- W20 Shattered Dreams – PoD proof ordered.
- V20 Endless Ages – PoD proof ordered.
- V20 DA The Cainite Conspiracies – PoD proof ordered.
- Beast RMCs – PoD proof ordered.
- V20 DA Tome of Secrets – Out to backers and errata collecting.
- Promethean 2nd – PoD proof ordered
TODAY’S REASON TO DRINK: Oh, lots of reasons. Pick one!