Winter Flu Goes To The Dogs Edition [Monday Meeting Notes]
It’s my turn for the annual winter fever and hacking coughing chest cold.
I’m going to digress right now, but you’ll see that this lil story will link my cold and the next subject of discussion today:
When I was in grad school, pure luck gave me a chance to have the first puppy I ever raised. She was half Dalmatian and half Pit Bull and gorgeous and strong. Her name was Wee Bea. While she was still in her first year, I came down with one of these awful colds. So bad, I was shaking with chills even covered with the few blankets we had (we were poor students and didn’t have much in the way of bedding).
As I was laying there and my teeth were actually chattering, Bea climbed up on the bed and sprawled her full body length over mine. Which she had never done before as she preferred curling up under the blankets next to me when she was allowed on the bed. She stayed on top until my fever broke later that night, and just like that slipped off the bed and curled up in her basket.
Her work there was done.
So you can understand that I haven’t needed much persuading when it comes to the magical power of dogs and the depths of feeling that dogs can both feel themselves and engender in people. Depths that I believe are a big part of the magic of Pugmire.
Which I bring up because this Wednesday afternoon we will be sending out links to the Backer PDF for the Pugmire Core Rulebook to the Kickstarter backers who pledged for it. Eddy and all of us at Onyx Path are just thrilled to be able to get this out where folks can actually read it, and play it, and send us feedback about it!
We’ve never actually delivered a new reward via BackerKit, so we’re finding our way with this. The plan is to let non-backers, and you know who you are, still be able to “pre-order” Pugmire on the site until we get closer to printing and shipping the physical parts of the project. In fact, right here: https://pugmire-fantasy-tabletop-rpg.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
Other, non-doggy things:
We’re hoping that the physical PoD proofs for Chronicles of Darkness: Hurt Locker come in before Wednesday so we can set it on sale along with the Condition Cards for Promethean 2nd and Beast.
We talked a bit about Onyx Path panels at GenCon this coming August at our meeting today. We mostly stick to the informational “What’s Up With…XXX” kind where we have developers talk about their upcoming projects, but are playing with the idea of different kinds this year.
What do you think? If you’ve gone or intend to go, or just have thoughts about the kinds of panels we could host, throw your ideas into the Comments here so we can talk about them.
Mirthful Mike Chaney is looking for artist submissions, and we’ll have info going out on our social media later this week. Right now, he is interested in artists whose styles match the feeling of the World of Darkness and the Chronicles of Darkness sets of game lines. You can submit links to websites (he will not open zipped files or anything like that) showing work you’ve done as well as any messaging for Mike at this address: email@example.com
The Mirthful One is also looking for graphic designers interested in doing layout work for our books. As you can tell, we have a lot of projects being worked on right now, and more on the way! Just like potential artists, you can submit links to websites (he will not open zipped files or anything like that) showing work you’ve done as well as any messaging for Mike at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
I’m sure there’s more I wanted to talk about, but my brain is fogging up.
So let me leave you with a non-dog pic that is the line-up of the signature characters for Monarchies of Mau. We told our cat-lovin’ friends we hadn’t forgotten about them while doing Pugmire, and we hope you find these characters intriguing.
We’re exploring card game Kickstarters, packaging, and components, for Prince’s Gambit. I’m working on the KS pages this week, and our video genius is assembling edits while Justin is picking music. Things look good, and we are all for starting the KS in Feb so long as the process of pulling the KS together cooperates. If so, then Monarchies of Mau KS would be next, after Gambit.
For 2 MORE DAYS Hunter: the Vigil explodes into the Bundle of Holding! For two more days, you can pledge for first edition Hunter: the Vigil PDFs at massive discounts and 10% of your purchase goes to the RPG Creators Relief Fund, INC too, which is very cool. Check it out here: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/HunterVigil
This offer is doing really well- thanks to all of you who have supported a great cause so far!
And we did something we never before attempted and have added WoD Armory to this set of PDFs! For those of you who pledged already- we give this with our thanks! And if you haven’t pledged yet…well now you get even more awesome PDFs when you do!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: http://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
You can now order wave 2 of our Deluxe and Prestige print overrun books, including Deluxe Mage 20th Anniversary, and Deluxe V20 Dark Ages!
Both the Beast: the Primordial & Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition Condition Cards will go on sale Wednesday, the 8th on DTRPG in PDF and physical card PoD versions! Great for keeping track of the Conditions that are on your characters!
From the massive Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras main book, we have pulled this single chapter, Dark Eras: Ruins of Empire (Mummy 1893-1924). Perhaps the quintessential era of the mummy in the minds of Westerners, this period saw the decline of the two greatest empires of the age: British and Ottoman. Walk with the Arisen as they bear witness to the death of the Victorian age, to pivotal mortal discoveries in Egypt, and to the horrors of the Great War.
Available in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/178801/Dark-Eras-Ruins-of-Empire-Mummy-the-Curse
From the massive Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras main book, we have pulled this single chapter, Dark Eras: The Sundered World (Werewolf and Mage 5500-5000 BCE). At the birth of civilization, in the shadow of the Fall, the Awakened stand as champions and protectors of the agricultural villages spread across the Balkans. In a world without a Gauntlet, where Shadow and flesh mingle, the steady taming of the world by humanity conflicts with the half-spirit children of Father Wolf.
Available in PDF and physical copy PoD versions on DTRPG. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202272/Dark-Eras-The-Sundered-World-Werewolf-the-Forsaken-Mage-the-Awakening
Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes for Beast: the Primordial is available now as an Advance PDF: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202615/Night-Horrors-Conquering-Heroes
This book includes:
- An in-depth look at how Heroes hunt and what makes a Hero, with eleven new Heroes to drop into any chronicle.
- A brief look at why Beasts may antagonize one another, with seven new Beasts to drop into any chronicle.
- Rules for Insatiables, ancient creatures born of the Primordial Dream intent on hunting down Beasts to fill a hunger without end, featuring six examples ready to use in any chronicle.
The PDF and physical book PoD versions of Reap the Whirlwind, the Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition Jumpstart swirls into being on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/201127/Reap-the-Whirlwind-Revised-VtR-2e
You are a vampire, a junkie. Every night, you beg and you borrow and you steal just a little more life, just a few more sweet moments. But there’s a guy at the top. The Prince. He’s got everything. The money, the secrets, the blood.
Tonight, you’re going to take it from him. Tomorrow, there’ll be hell to pay.
This updated edition of Reap the Whirlwind features revisions to match the core rulebook for Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition. Text edits and rules clarifications have also been updated.
Reap the Whirlwind Revised includes:
- Rules for creating and playing vampires in the Chronicles of Darkness
- The first two levels of every clan Discipline, the dark powers of the dead
- A complete adventure by noted horror author Chuck Wendig
This new revised Reap the Whirlwind Revised includes an updated booklet, 7 condition cards, and the interactive Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition character sheet.
It is now the preordained time for Dawn of Heresies, the Mummy: the Curse novel written by internationally renowned author Brian Hodge to arise! Both PDF/electronic and physical book PoD versions are now available on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/198720/Dawn-of-Heresies
Rawhead and bloody bones
Steals naughty children from their homes,
Takes them to his dirty den
And they are never seen again.
So says the nursery rhyme that gives birth to Rawhead, the most fearsome entity to imperil the living since the infamous Roller. Once an obedient mummy by name of Benefre, a desperate bid by his cult fails in tragic fashion, and in so doing, sends him to the Devourerís waiting, corruptive maw. What remains of Benefreís ambitious soul rises again, impure and unholy, set to the execution of a scheme so baleful, it constitutes a heresy even among his own misbegotten kind.
All that stands between Rawhead and his terrible aim are a lone mummy, Kemsiyet, and what little remains of her cult following its destruction at Rawhead’s hands. Declan, her prized security aide, and Fiona, an Irish researcher only just recently inducted into the cult and its blood-soaked world, must fight both the odds and the clock in order to prevent a calamity the likes of which the world hasnít seen since the days of the mummies’ creation.
About the Author:
BRIAN HODGE is the acclaimed author of 11 novels, almost 125 short stories, and four full-length collections. His first collection, The Convulsion Factory, was ranked by critic Stanley Wiater among the 113 best books of modern horror. Heís currently wrapping up his fifth, The Immaculate Void. Among gamers, he is perhaps best known as the author of the first official Hellboy novel, On Earth as It Is in Hell.
Recent works include “The Weight of the Dead,” from Tor, and novelettes of cosmic horror in The Mammoth Book of Cthulhu and Children of Lovecraft. His oft-reprinted 2013 novella, “The Same Deep Waters as You” has recently been optioned by a London-based production studio for development for television. Brian lives in Colorado.
Open the V20 Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets now on DTRPG! Both PDF and physical book PoD versions are now available! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/197358/V20-Dark-Ages-Tome-of-Secrets
The Tome of Secrets is a treatment of numerous topics about Cainites and stranger things in the Dark Medieval World. It’s about peeling back the curtain, and digging a little deeper. Inside, you’ll find:
• Expanded treatment of Assamite Sorcery, Koldunic Sorcery, Necromancy, and Setite Sorcery
• A look at Cainite knightly orders, faith movements, and even human witchcraft
• Letters and diaries from all over the Dark Medieval World
Travel with us all the way to the Red Planet for the Cavaliers of Mars Jumpstart: A Festival of Blades, available in PDF and PoD on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/191678/A-Festival-of-Blades-A-Cavaliers-of-Mars-Jumpstart
Live, fight, and love on Mars, a world of red death and strange mystery, a world of savagery and romance.
- A complete adventure set in one of dying Mars’ greatest remaining cities.
- The innovative DEIMOS rules, for high-flying, swashbuckling adventure.
- Four pre-generated player characters, ready to get into the heart of the action.
The Locker is open; the Chronicles of Darkness: Hurt Locker, that is! The Advance PDF is now available on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199275/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Hurt-Locker
Hurt Locker features:
- Treatment of violence in the Chronicles of Darkness. Lasting trauma, scene framing, and other tools for making your stories hurt.
- Many new player options, including Merits, supernatural knacks, and even new character types like psychic vampires and sleeper cell soldiers.
- Expanded equipment and equipment rules.
Hurt Locker requires the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook or any other standalone Chronicles of Darkness rulebook such as Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, or Beast: The Primordial to use.
Discover the long-awaited Secrets of the Covenants for Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition as we unearth the Advance PDF now on DTRPG! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199280/Secrets-of-the-Covenants
- A variety of stories from each of the covenants, all told in their own words.
- Never-before revealed secrets, like the fate of the Prince of New Orleans.
- New blood sorcery, oaths, and other hidden powers of the covenants.
Discussing GenCon plans. August 17th – 20th, Indianapolis. Every chance the booth will actually be 20′ x 30′ this year.
And now, the new project status updates!
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Cookbook (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- CtD C20 Jumpstart (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Ex Novel 2 (Aaron Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- C20 Novel (Jackie Cassada) (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Pugmire Fiction Anthology (Pugmire)
- Pugmire Pan’s Guide for New Pioneers (Pugmire)
- Monarchies of Mau Early Access (Pugmire)
- Hunter: the Vigil 2e core (Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Origins (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Kithbook Boggans (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- GtS Geist 2e core (Geist: the Sin-Eaters Second Edition)
- VtR Half-Damned (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- BtP Beast Player’s Guide (Beast: the Primordial)
- Book of Freeholds (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- V20 Dark Ages Jumpstart (Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition)
- W20 Changing Ways (Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- SL Ring of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Ring of Spiragos (5e – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- SL Dagger of Spiragos (Pathfinder – Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Dagger of Spiragos (5e– Scarred Lands 2nd Edition)
- Arms of the Chosen (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, featuring the Huntsmen Chronicle (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- BtP Building a Legend (Beast: the Primordial)
- CtD C20 Anthology (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Wraith: the Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition
- VtR A Thousand Years of Night (Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition)
- V20 Beckett’s Jyhad Diary (Stretch Goal Content)
- W20 Song of Unmaking novel (Bridges) (Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th Anniversary Edition)
- CtL fiction anthology (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
- Beckett’s Jyhad Diary
- M20 Book of Secrets – AD’d
- W20 Pentex Employee Indoctrination Handbook
- V20 Dark Ages Companion – Sending out contracts… as I’m behind on paperwork
- EX3 Tomb of Dreams Jumpstart – Art over to WWP for approval.
- Dagger of Spiragos
- VTR: Thousand Years of Night
- Cavaliers of Mars
- V20 Lore of the Bloodlines
- Prince’s Gambit – Kickstarter Prep.
- Dark Eras Companion – artist shenanigans.
- Necropolis Rio
- Ex 3 Screen – Shipping to fulfillment shippers.
- Ex 3 core book – Shipping to fulfillment shippers.
- Beast Condition Cards – On sale this Wednesday in PDF and physical POD versions on DTRPG.
- CofD Hurt Locker – Physical PoD proof on its way.
- Secrets of the Covenants – Waiting for errata to make PoD.
- Beckett Screen – At Printer, being printed.
- W20 Shattered Dreams – Shipping to fulfillment shippers.
- Shattered Dreams Screen – At Printer, being printed.
- Promethean 2nd Condition Cards – On sale this Wednesday in PDF and physical POD versions on DTRPG.
- Beast Conquering Heroes – Advance PDF now on sale at DTRPG, gathering errata.
- Mortal Remains: Beast- Red In Tooth and Claw – Went out to Beast KS backers, gathering errata.
- Dark Eras: Doubting Souls – Waiting for OK to order PoD proofs.
- Dark Eras: Bowery Dogs – Waiting for OK to order PoD proofs.
- Pugmire – Backer PDF to backers this week.
- Wise and the Wicked PF & 5e – Out to backers.
TODAY’S REASON TO CELEBRATE: Today a year ago we went out to a freezing cold parking lot on the outskirts of town at 5am to meet a dark green semi hauling unwanted dogs from kill shelters down south. Our big brown buddy had suddenly died right before Christmas, and the house felt empty without a dog in it, so my wife found what looked to be a good fit for us on a rescue website. That morning, Molly came gingering down a ramp from the green semi, and pulled her handler over to us as she enthusiastically greeted her new family. No sound though, not a yip. She still does everything enthusiastically, and has proven to bark really loudly if she needs to warn us. She is a Good Dog.