Sorry this Monday Meeting Notes blog is a couple of days late, but a couple of things ate up my time. First, we’re doing this little Deluxe Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter. And by little, I mean that it funded in 44 minutes, and after two whole days we are at 1775 backers and $270,857 of funding, and have passed 9 Stretch Goals.
As the next 20th Deluxe book and with 20 years of devoted fans, we knew this was going to be a big one, and fortunately legendary Mage developer Satyros Phil Brucato is also energized and on hand to lend his enthusiasm to the ongoing KS festivities, as well as lending his efforts before we launched in working with me on a cohesive set of Stretch Goals. If you haven’t been by already, come check out the fun: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-mage-the-ascension-20th-anniversary-edition
Then, on Tuesday, I was surprised to discover that the Gen Con administration decided exhibitors this year needed to do their hotel booking at noon. The last we had heard, it was going to happen on the 10th, I think. So schedules were rearranged and at 11:59 I dialed the number they gave us (rather than try to book online which I had heard was problematic). Sometime around 12:12, I reached an operator who was very nice, helpful, and efficient. By 12:35 I had reserved 3 rooms in one hotel and 3 in another.
So all in all, not the worst experience, although having to stick the Onyx gang in different hotels is likely to be a little annoying. This was the first time I ever set up the hotels for us, so I really don’t have anything to compare it to, but it does feel good to know that this first Gen Con where Onyx Path has our own booth, and we’re making our own arrangements, is starting to come together. Somehow, it’s another milestone in our development as a publishing company.
Back on Monday, Eddy and I talked a lot about the Mage 20th KS, as I wanted him, as our CCP liaison, to be ready for fast approvals and the general direction we were going with the KS. Eddy points out that he is a walking cliche of a Virtual Adept (I added that’s because he has built-in tech in his ears).
It was also necessary to discuss something that has come up a few times now that Onyx hosts the WW forums, and that is banning posters. As the caretakers of CCP’s IPs, I think it is important to be sure that Onyx Path is relating to our shared fan-base in a way that works for CCP and the way we need to have things here. For example, I think we learn a lot more about how our projects are actually being received and used when we create an environment that encourages fans to post what they really think and feel about a product, even if they hate it. We need to hear that, and a lot of times a “negative review” reveals issues that none of us caught because we liked the book.
But, and here is the point where I have to get all serious for a minute, insulting the creators or Onyx Path is just not the way to be heard. And, in fact, that’s how to get banned. I know how hard I work keeping this whole thing going and building it one step at a time, and I’ve got a pretty good idea how tough it is to develop, or write, or illustrate, or design, these amazing books we’ve put out since 1/1/2012 to the quality level our creators have achieved- as freelancers. So insults, or even worse, threats, are just not acceptable here.
Criticize away! Please, as we want and need your input, but no need for attacks.
Now, you’re probably thinking “Why is RichT lumping me in with those rotten posters? I’m not like that!”, and you are probably right. Most of our community is awesome and knows how to agree or disagree with what we’re doing without stepping over the personal attack line. You are one of the awesome, and I’m not talking about you. But if you have any doubts on how you are coming across, or just would like to check out a great read about effective internet social-venue communication, try this link to an article by our long-time friend Chuck Wendig: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2014/03/05/25-tips-for-how-to-speak-to-other-humans-on-the-internet/
And now, back to the fun:
- Mummy the Curse - Cursed Necropolis DC is in editing. We actually had an editor have to drop off this, so this editor is a new editor.
- Exalted 3rd Edition: From Holden: This week we’re continuing to grind away on Bureaucracy, collating and finishing up the final details on Traits, and getting some work done on Evocations. Final draft of Storytelling is being reviewed before being sent to editing.
Zub’s EX3 Comic is more than halfway finished being illustrated and both EX3 novels are being worked on (I talked to both novelists last week). Starting to get one of the EX3 Music Suites to a finished state, the Dragon Blooded theme.
- V20 Hunters Hunted 2: US/Canadian missing packages being gone through case by case. International packages being re-sent this week. Of Predators and Prey: The HH2 Fiction Anthology PDF/electronic and physical book PoD versions are on sale at DTRPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/124845/Of-Predators-and-Prey-The-Hunters-Hunted-II-Anthology
- V20 Anarchs Unbound – Waiting for Amazon Payments to finish this week and then some fun for our AU backers including first shot at AU t-shirts featuring Smilin’ Jack himself.
- Deluxe Werewolf 20th Anniversary Edition: As with HH2, US/Canadian missing packages being gone through case by case. International packages being re-sent this week. The Heavy Metal Deluxe W20 is slowly being assembled- the current delay being a glitch on the W20 disc on the spine that’s being fixed by the printer. Mike Lee has a new batch of chapters of the W20 “Houses of the Moon” novel for Bill to review. Jess Hartley has the White Howlers Tribe Book in red-lining. W20 Wyld West patch writing is in editing and is being art directed.
- Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition- the Deluxe M20 Kickstarter KS went live two days ago and funded as noted above! Going to be some fun Stretch Goals and cool reveals of the text and art as this KS continues for the next 27 days.
- W20 Changing Breeds PDF and PoD versions are on sale at DTRPG! Deluxe files are with the printer- proofs were shown to backers and are back with the printer. The cover emboss needed a tweak and new files are being worked on today. The Changing Breeds Fiction Anthology in editing.
- W20 Book of the Wyrm is in layout. This will be the next Kickstarter project if everything times out as expected. We think this book should appeal to W20 and W20 Changing Breeds fans alike.
- V20 Rites of the Blood: is ready for layout, but layout is not yet ready for it, art finals rolling in.
- Dark Ages: Darkening Sky (classic Dark Ages): PDF is available on DTRPG. Physical book PoD just needs to go on sale, hopefully this week.
- Trinity Continuum: New System ideas continue being hammered out. Most of the Aeon setting material is in. Logo discussion has started. We’re looking at starting some preliminary blog posts.
- Scion: New Systems discussion continue. Both Scion and the TC above are now moving into active mode for 2014. Contracts and art notes out for the Scion: Origins cover.
- Demon: The Descent: We delivered the Demon PDF to KS backers before the end of December, and the backer PDF has been updated and the PoD version is awaiting PoD approval (I sent for the PoD proofs). Now to create the traditional printing files. The Demon: Ready Made Characters set is in editing and the artist is working. Demon Seed Collection is in first drafts. DtD Seattle is in first draft. Heirs to Hell is in first draft.
- Hunter: Mortal Remains: Art coming in and going in for approval to CCP, and is in layout.
- Book of the Deceived (MtC): Redlines. The loss of a writer means their section has to be given to a new writer, CAS is on top of it.
- nWoD: Dark Eras: Writers are following up on redlines except for one chapter which is having writer issues.
- V20 Dark Ages: Scribes are scribing 2nd Drafts. David Hill has recently moved to a new country and is still acclimating, more info once he is settled in.
- DtD Players Guide: Flowers Of Hell?: In editing and being art directed.
- V20: Ghouls: First drafts coming into to the developer for redlines.
- V20 Red List: In final draft stage.
- The Making of the Art of Children of the Revolution: Out to backers who pledged for it. Creating PoD files to go with PDF for sale on DTRPG.
- W20: The Umbra: First drafts being written.
- WtF: The Idigam Chronicle: First drafts being written.
- GtSE: Geist Ready Made Characters: Being written. Just thought we’d throw this in.
Reason to Drink: Woot! Mage 20- it just doesn’t seem like 20(1) years since I stood next to Josh Timbrook as he finished each Tradition splat piece and I pasted them into the pages, while Chris McD kept the FedEx guy talking to stop him from leaving without the book files that needed to go that night to the printer.