Our Reprint Repro A-Go-Go crowdfunding campaign on IndieGoGo is juuuust about over! It’s go go going!
If you haven’t yet, I strongly recommend last Friday’s Onyx Pathcast wherein the gang actually review not only the books we’re reprinting – Scion Origin, Trinity Continuum Core, and Trinity Continuum: Aeon – but go into what sort of tweaks they made to the books for the reprint run, and just how awesome it is to be doing reprints at all for these books!
Generally, if we’ve got a book that’s traditionally printed, that’s because we want to put it into retail stores so that more people can check it out and hopefully buy it and play it. The exposure in a store is likely, the sales…maybe not. So we’re not printing these things up lightly, as print run amounts are tricky things and sinking lots of bucks into books that are gathering dust in a warehouse isn’t something our low-margins TTRPG biz can easily absorb all the time.
In other words, we could use that money for other things, like new books. So a reprint, well that means the demand is there. An audience is already there, plus there is enough interest that we all think even more folks are out there wanting the books. Which is pretty cool to hear about any of your projects!
It’s pretty strange, really, to be talking about the near-end of a two week campaign after being involved in so many 30ish day campaigns. So, even for us, trying out different methods and formats can feel odd after becoming used to a certain way of doing things.
We really do get it when a few folks get peeved about us hopping onto IndieGoGo or BackerKit crowdfunding. Or even when we change how we do the campaigns themselves like with a voting option for content or with double features, etc. Yet, from our point of view, these are necessary stretches of our creative muscles – just like trying a new kind of book format for writing and/or art.
As I’ve noted here previously, the whole of last year was a lotta messing around with expanding our methods for doing crowdfunding and sales in general with an eye towards evolving with the changing face of crowdfunding – from the campaigns through printing and shipping the rewards – and TTRPG sales in general.
We’ve got a pretty good set of case-studies for crowdfunding right now, so expect us to do a bit less experimenting this year – just a bit – and check out the Curious Cats of Mau (Monarchies of Mau 2e) for Realms of Pugmire (Pugmire 2e) on Funded by BackerKit in February!
Meanwhile, Back at the Monday Meeting:
Our crew has been fine tuning our methods of creating our books, too, and so you have the much-anticipated Across the Eight Directions for Exalted 3rd (still at #1 on DTRPG, thank you all very much) and Once and Future for Scion 2e (Still at #11, and thank all of you very much!) on sale. And now we just sent out the Backer PDF for the Many Faced Strangers stretch goal reward supplement from the Exalted Lunars crowdfunding campaign.
Here’s the same graphic from last week, because our books are in the same positions on the ends!:
As a Stretch Goal project, Many Faced Strangers may or may not have a similar standing on DTRPG once we tweak the PDF and make it into a PoD. We won’t know until that happens.
We do know that Many Faced Strangers had a tortuous creation process that looked like it was going to go great – right until its progress was slammed into by Covid. Check the timing, folks, it was affected HARD. We were all so optimistic that our new dev team and trainees were revved up and ready to go, and then quarantine, fear, illness, and the fact that it wasn’t just a city or statewide thing but an international crisis; all combined to tank the process.
But the team clawed their way back, pushed and prodded Strangers and 8 Directions, and other projects as well, all the while developing and writing new projects that we couldn’t wait on unless we truly wanted the last “Fatsplat” out in 2030 as some online pundits liked to jest. It was a team-wide excellent effort!
Can we call it an Exalted Effort?
Too much? Hm. maybe.
Last week I asked folks if there were parts of the blog you preferred to read, preferred to skip, whatever. From the responses here and elsewhere, the only thing I think seems common is that folks check out the parts they like – which are all different – and skip over big chunks. Usually because those sections seem not to change.
Now, I’ve wondered about the usefulness of having sections that provide the same (or very similar) info every week for those readers that don’t read this MMN blog every week, more your casual readers, and also newcomers to it. If I take away some info this week, is that denying our non-weekly readers the chance at something useful for them?
There’s still time to weigh in as I ponder this weighty riddle! And thanks to everybody who has shared their thoughts in the Comments so far!
Finally, we’re one month into our 13th year, almost, and things are getting stranger. Is 13 just bad luck? Whatever, we’ve seen things posted on our sites that nobody remembers posting, links added after the fact on this very blog, and Matthew in particular seems to be haunted by a series of strange events like power failures and stuff.
Reminds me of the old “Wraith Curse” that started as Mark was writing first edition and continued through Rich Dansky’s tenure!
Now, Matthew actually missed our meeting today because of a fever, although he did send the Onyx Path Media section as he does each week. It might be the fever, but he says the Onyx Path News vid he sent is not quite right. I haven’t had a chance to watch it myself as this blog consumes all my efforts on Mondays, and Matthew was being put to bed by his wife to fight the fever, so he wasn’t able to explain what he meant.
Probably just the fever.
Assuming I don’t come down with anything, I’ll talk to y’all next week about our:
Moth Worlds, One Path!
The Reprint Repro-a-GoGo! has already funded and is currently at over 890%! Help us to reprint some of your favorites for getting into stores…and maybe even contribute towards our doing traditionally printed hardcovers we haven’t done yet!
Only 30 hours left as I write this – and here’s the link to join in on the fun! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reprint-repro-a-gogo
Onyx Path Media!
This week: Danielle and Eddy get nerdy and talk about design loops! (RichT: Your guess is as good as mine, folks!)
As always, this Friday’s Onyx Pathcast will be on Podbean or your favorite podcast venue!
Please check out our attached media schedule for the videos on our Twitch channel this week! In particular, keep those eyes open for our Storypath Showcase, where we give an excellent profile of our various Storypath games and how to play them!
MEDIA HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK:
This week we’re looking for fresh RPG media from YOU! So if you make actual plays, conduct interviews, or review games, please post them in the comments of this blog so we can see them and share them!
The Onyx Path News discusses recent and upcoming releases! You can find it on our YouTube channel (click the bell to be informed when we go live!) but if you missed the last episode, here it is: https://youtu.be/OBgndPhrqog
New on the Roll20 Marketplace, it’s the Scarred Lands Creature Collection and Camp Murder Lake Tokens for Roll20 VTT play!
They Came From Beneath the Sea! on Roll20 VTT!
Here are some more shots from the They Came From Beneath the Sea! Compendium!
And there’s also the Scion Jumpstart, all ready for Roll20 VTT fun!
More news and links when we have them!
The Scion: Origin and Scion Hero Compendiums are now available on Roll20!
Scion is just the start! They Came From Beneath the Sea! and other
Onyx Path RPGs are in development for Roll20 virtual tabletop!
The first of our official Scion sheets designed for Foundry VTT are
Direct Link: https://foundryvtt.co
Looking for more virtual tabletop resources? We have a selection of
Tokens, Encounters, and more available now at DriveThruRPG!
Get ’em here: https://bit.ly/3SnrNJ7
Our Sales Partners!
We’re working with Studio2 to provide our traditionally printed books out into your local game stores. Game stores can order via their usual distributors, and can also contact Studio2 directly. And individuals can check out our projects via the links below!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books, dice, and screens? Try this link! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Onyx-Path-Publishing/
We have some CofD Screens on discount on IPR:
As always, you can find Onyx Path’s titles in PDF and PoD versions at DriveThruRPG.com!
Amazon and Barnes & Noble!
Check out Melody Through the Mirrorshade Lens and Facets of Truth, as well as Trinity Continuum: Terat and The Hollow Courts on Kindle in the Kindle store!
On Sale This Week!
We’d tell you more about this month’s Tasty Bit PDF that will be out on DTRPG this Weds: Operation: Fabric Spy, but it’s for They Came From CLASSIFIED! So, shhhhh….
As we are slowly returning to attending conventions in person after avoiding them during the COVID-19 outbreak, keep an eye out here for more physical and virtual conventions we’re going to be involved with!
We will be repped at the upcoming GAMA Expo in March by both Studio 2 and Indie Press Revolution. We expect that there will be some…interesting…handouts for retailers at the Expo!
Game Night With Onyx Path Publishing at StartPlaying will be the last Friday of the month! Come play some of our games, especially any edition of Realms of Pugmire! (But any of our game lines are welcome all day long!)
Please spread the word about GMing games as much as
possible. Details on how list a game are at the bottom of the page in
Project Status Updates!
Our full list of projects will be available monthly on our blog! Check out December’s full list report here:
DEVELOPMENT STATUS FROM EDDY
Here are the projects that moved to the next stage of production:
Scion – Rock Gods and Side Quests
- Matthew: Rock on, everybody! Especially the writers of Rock Gods, who are now facing down their final drafts on this very special Scion book.
Scion – Titans Rising Gifts of the Titans
- Matthew: Intrepidly, this gift of a book climbs onto the desk of one Richard Thomas for analysis and judgement. Many books have been slain, cast into the fire under his fearsome eye. How will Gifts of the Titans fare?
TC: Aegis – Aegis Atlas
- Eddy: Our tempestuous torrent of glorious geography in this stunty stretch goal is on its way to have its manuscript massaged!
ART DIRECTION FROM MIKE CHANEY!
In Art Direction
- Ex3 Sidereals – Sending Sketches to Devs.
- TCF RPG Anthology – Getting things together to get the remaining fulls and splat spreads done.
- M20 Faces of Magick – I’m getting this one going.
- Curious Cats (KS) – Still trying to get this back on track.
- Ex Essence Charm Cards
- DTR Clade Companion
- CTL 2e the Hedge – Pauline is on board to lay this out along with anything else in my non major project pile of shame.
- M20 Victorian Jumpstart
- SCION God 2e – Helping Travis out with some of the boogery bits and we should be good for a first proof.
- TC Aether – Last two missing pieces contracted. Symbols are contracted. Preparing myself to beat my record for a rulebook layout time…
- Squeaks in the Deep Companion – Holding pattern until either i have time to do it or Pauline knocks out the Hedge. All the assets are in… I just need time.
- Classified and Cyclops Screens – Plan is to work on these after i get all the xxs into their respective books (as that stuff is always on the tables).
- TC Anima Terra Surge Screen – Still trying to knock this one out this week.
- CofD Contagion Chronicles RMCs – Art is all in… I can probably work on it after Aether is in proofing and the reprints are sent off.
- Many Faced Strangers – Going out to backers RIGHT NOW.
- Ex 3 Exigents
- Scion Origin – Thanks to Matthew, we’ve dealt with a great many additional errata items… including the character sheets. Book has been exported for press and uploaded for the printing crew.
- TC Core – Interior with Eddy for error correction confirmation. Everything else is done.
- TC Aeon – Working on corrections and tweaking out anything that would get flagged in Pre Press. Oh, and there is font shift and its a 340+ page book… so it’s taking some time to do.
- W20 Apocalyptic Record – At Studio2 and backer shipping should start soon.
- W20 Apocalyptic Record Screen & Booklet – At Studio 2.
- Exalted Essence – At Press. Proofs should arrive sometime this week.
- Ex Essence Screen – At Studio 2.
- Ex3 Exigents – Indexing.
- TC Anima – Probably gonna end up going to press with the They Came From Double Feature.
- M20 Lore of the Traditions – Printing.
- They Came From CLASSIFIED! – Index and XXs are in.
- They Came From the Cyclops Cave! – Index is in, awaiting xxs.
- Scion Once and Future – PoD proofs ordered.
- Ex3 Across the 8 Directions – Awaiting errata.
- Tasty Bit – They Came From CLASSIFIED – Operation: Fabric Spy PDF out this Wednesday on DTRPG!
Today’s Reason to Celebrate!
From the long to the short of it – not to mention the License to the Ours of it: Published this day in 2014, Darkening Sky for WoD: Dark Ages (the last DA project before we created Vampire Dark Ages 20th Anniversary Edition) turns 10 and on Feb 1st, Proteus Nova Compendium turns a one year old! Lil puddin’.