Hard as it is to believe, the Kickstarter for Scion: Demigod is wrapping up in just three days!
Every time we get to the finale of one of these projects that we’ve been talking about for years, there’s a feeling of unreality that sets in. Could this be the same project I talked about doing nine years ago, even before the agreement was set on buying Scion, as I sketched out what we would do with the game line? And here is it’s Kickstarter going into the last few days that will provide us with both feedback before layout and new projects that are part of the book’s launch via Stretch Goals.
Yep, with three days to go, a lot could still happen in both those areas – and then we’ll move into taking and integrating all that feedback, and assigning those extra projects, and running with everything we’ve learned during this KS. The KS is kind of the gut-check, kind of the tire-kick, of all the text and how the line can develop further, all at the same time.
If you’ve already backed, if you’ve commented on the KS and chatted with James, if you’ve been telling your friends and fellow gamers how cool Scion: Demigod is based on the text releases so far, if you’re thinking of pledging now, any and all of that, then I’ve just got to say: Thank You!
(And let’s see how far this baby can go in the next 3 days!)
Next up really fast is the WoD: Ghost Hunters Kickstarter which is starting next week – on Tuesday, October 6th at 2pm Eastern US time, in fact!
WoD: Ghost Hunters hearkens back to those WoD books that weren’t tied to any one game line, but to the World of Darkness as a whole. In this case, the 20th Anniversary WoD actually, although some of the paranormal investigation material will no doubt be usable for any horror or urban dark fantasy game.
And like we were just talking about with the Scion: Demigod Kickstarter, backers will be able to read through all of the finished text by the time the WoD: Ghost Hunters KS is over on October 31st: Halloween!
What better day for ghost hunters?
Following up on another topic from last week’s MMN Blog, we have added a What’s Up With Onyx Path? panel to the Save Against Fear Virtual Convention coming up in a few weeks. Eddy, Dixie, and myself – possibly joined by other Onyx Path creators – will be chatting and giving out all the inside scoops anybody could want during this session at 4pm on Friday, October 9th.
Like I mentioned last week, this con is being run to support the non-profit Bodhanna Group, which utilizes tabletop gaming for their therapeutic sessions, so there’s a ticket cost – but it is for a very good cause. We’re hoping that, plus games to play including a bunch of ours run by Travis Legge, and our folks sitting in on the What’s Up and many other panels all about RPGing, will entice a few folks virtually who could never before make it to central Pennsylvania!
Next up of the current business: IPR (links below in our sales partners write-ups) is going to be running a great sale on Chronicles of Darkness books and screens from our Kickstarters starting next week. More next Monday, but keep your eyes open if you are interested, as they could start earlier than that!
Now for new business! You’ll note below in the project progress report that there’s a new project we haven’t mentioned before: They Came From Camp Murder Lake! This is the first sourcebook supplement for any of our They Came From…! game lines, and is a version of They Came From Beyond the Grave!.
It’s just started in First Draft stage so I can’t spoil too much, but if you haven’t guessed, this is the sourcebook for playing in the 80s teen slasher flick genre.
Meanwhile, Matthew and I have been playing with and finalizing ideas for the upcoming new They Came From…! game line for next year. During our Monday Meeting today, we got a fantastic idea from Eddy for the title of this one – which we really needed as Matthew and I just could not find the right words. It is a truly evocative title now, I gotta say!
For those of you following along at home, this is not the Western genre one that has been batted around, as we decided that we needed a different approach for our third game in the series. As much as I love my Westerns.
Finally, I do have one other new project that you can see listed below as well; something that is very near and dear to my heart. Some of you might be aware that for the past two years I’ve been contributing an ink drawing a day during the entire month of October as part of the artist-wide Inktober challenge. Those daily characters were all from my original D&D game world, and in redrawing them after so long I not only was awash in nostalgia, but realized how much fun they represented.
At least to me.
So last year at the Save Against Fear convention – the live, actually sit with people and game face-to-face one – I ran an adventure in that game world for the first time using the 5th Edition rules. Mostly to see if I still “had it” as a DM, but also to see if the players – who were all new to my world – would enjoy playing in that world. Well, we played into the night until people couldn’t keep their eyes open, and I’ve had continuing requests for a second session, so it seems folks had a good time!
(And yes, players of that game, we WILL play again, I promise!)
I had created a short PDF for those players of the various Peoples of the world describing the humans and elves, dwarves and ducks, etc. After a consultation with our resident 5th Edition guru Travis Legge, we decided to take that PDF and expand on it as an easy intro to my world, which is called The Crossroads Continent (or CRC, for short).
Easy for players to dig into for new playable options drawn from the CRC, and also easy for he and I to work on without interfering with our many other game creation responsibilities and projects. I’m not doing this thinking it’ll be this new hot thing, I’m doing this because I’ve got a 40+ year setting and, by gum!, I want to get it out to the world and not just in the files and folders that fill two whole shelves in my bookcases!
So we’re starting with the Peoples of the Crossroads Continent and have just handed the text over to Dixie for editing. I’ve already created the illustrations for the Peoples based on many of those October challenge drawings (and I’m slated to do a third set starting in a few days!), so we’ll see where this goes!
Some of our worlds have been out there and published for decades, some are new settings and game rules, and now one that has been around longer than Vampire: The Masquerade, but hasn’t seen a larger audience than the gaming groups that played in it. They are all our:
Many Worlds, One Path!
The Scion: Demigod Second Edition Kickstarter has 3 days to go, and is devouring all sorts of Stretch Goals! Currently headed for a new Scenario PDF supplement after adding all sorts of Titanspawn into the Demigod Companion book! Check it out if you haven’t already:
Our Next Kickstarter:
Coming almost immediately after the Scion: Demigod Kickstarter looms World of Darkness: Ghost Hunters for the 20 Anniversary Editions on Tuesday, October 6th at 2pm Eastern US time!
Onyx Path Media!
This week: The Trio are joined by a bunch of the folks creating Community Content for Scarred Lands and more! What exactly is Community Content? How hard is it to create within the rules of the site? How many millions are they all making from it? All these questions and so many more will be answered!
As always, this Friday’s Onyx Pathcast will be on Podbean or your favorite podcast venue! https://onyxpathcast.podbean.com/
Red Moon Roleplaying continue their fantastic Scion: Demigod actual play with developer Neall Raemonn Price! Check it out and enjoy: https://youtu.be/QPNNFQEbhxo
And in case you missed it, here’s the Story Told Podcast‘s interview with Neall regarding Scion: Demigod! https://thestorytold.libsyn.com/episode-61-scion-demigod-interview-with-neall-price
We’ve got the finale of a Scion: Demigod actual play coming this week from the fantastic Vorpal Tales on Twitch. Tune in to watch live!
A Bunch of Gamers also ran a game of Scion: Demigod, which you can find over on their YouTube channel right here! https://youtu.be/_WjlcunAsiY
For anyone new to our media section, you can find us running and playing games over on twitch.tv/theonyxpath pretty much every day of the week! Plus, if you’d like your games hosted there, just get in touch with Matthew Dawkins using the contact link on matthewdawkins.com.
Please give our Twitch channel a follow, as you can find a huge number of videos of all kinds of games being run!
This week on Twitch, expect to see these games and streams running:
- Scarred Lands – A Family Affair
- Technocracy Reloaded – Vorpal Tales – FINALE
- Scion – Behind the Screen
- Scion: Demigod – Vorpal Tales – FINALE
- Hunter: The Vigil – Cold Cases Forsaken Spaces – FINALE
- Changeling: The Dreaming – The Last Faerie Tale
- Mage: The Awakening – Occultists Anonymous
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Boston by Night
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Thy Kingdom Come – PREMIERE
- Hunter: Unbound Anomalies – Devil’s Luck Gaming
Get watching for some fantastic insight into how to run these wonderful games and subscribe to us on Twitch, over at twitch.tv/theonyxpath
Come take a look at our YouTube channel, youtube.com/user/theonyxpath, where you can find a whole load of videos of actual plays, dissections of our games, and more, including:
Changeling: The Dreaming – The Last Faerie Tale – E14 – https://youtu.be/W70Zemme5ms
Mage 20 – Technocracy Reloaded Backer Session – https://youtu.be/SzgV_vVf_DA
Scarred Lands – Tears of the Weeping Maiden to benefit RAINN – https://youtu.be/qTf_s1oaTOQ
Realms of Pugmire – Paws and Claws S2E17 – https://youtu.be/qOkkbs9w0qA
Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition 1/2 – Raising Funds for RAINN – https://youtu.be/Aidfx_h_Z-I
Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition 1/2 – Raising Funds for RAINN – https://youtu.be/irip9mnGlLQ
Subscribe to our channel and click the bell icon if you want to be notified whenever new news videos and uploads come online!
Tune in to episode four of Tom Murr’s amazing They Came from Beneath the Sea! audio drama over on YouTube! https://youtu.be/A2ReZeGoIBE
Systematic Understanding of Everything is a fantastic Exalted Explainer Podcast by Exalted Dev Monica Speca and Exalted Writer Chazz Kellner that is breaking down Creation in 45 minute chunks in preparation for Exalted Essence.
Their most recent episodes are available over on https://www.exaltcast.com/, with their newest covering the stunning fantastic (in Matthew Dawkins’ opinion) Infernals! https://www.exaltcast.com/2020/09/21/inner-devils-unchained-infernals/
The Story Told Podcast continues their Fall of Jiara Exalted chronicle, as Meara and Kai reveal their secret to their newly sworn Hearth. Kai’s siblings arrive for a surprise visit and the Dragon-Blooded prepare for their expedition! You can find their newest episode right here: https://thestorytold.libsyn.com/fall-of-jiara-27
The Botch Pit delve into the horror of Promethean: The Created‘s Centimani over on their YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/cf22y0HuB64
And our good friend and co-creator Chris Allen continues running Werewolf: The Forsaken for his group over on Twitch, so please give him a follow: https://www.twitch.tv/paleo_gaming
Please check these out and let us know if you find or produce any actual plays of our games! We’d love to feature you!
As we find ways to enable our community to more easily play our games, the Onyx Dice Rolling App is live! Our dev team has been doing updates since we launched based on the excellent use-case comments by our community, and this thing is awesome! (Seriously, you need to roll 100 dice for Exalted? This app has you covered.)
We’re told that the App Dev is currently creating an updated version for the latest devices, so keep an eye open for those!
Introducing a Virtual Tabletop adventure: the Gauntlet of Spiragos for Scarred Lands on Astral TableTop!
Scars of the Divine War, which ended less than 200 years ago, have still not healed. One such scar is the Chasm of Flies, a rent in the earth created when the titan Spiragos the Ambusher was smote down by one of the young gods, Vangal the Ravager. Now, the Chasm is inhabited by spider-eye goblins and their spider allies, but it is also thought to be the resting place of powerful artifacts from that elder age.
Gauntlet of Spiragos is a Scarred Lands adventure designed for 1st level characters, although it can be easily modified for characters of up to 5th level.
Astral TableTop is the easiest way to play any tabletop RPG online, free. Astral already supports popular systems like D&D and Pathfinder, and Astral can support virtually any tabletop roleplaying game. Get started quickly with built-in support for most popular game systems. Whether you’re brand new to TTRPGs or a veteran tabletop gamer, Astral‘s ease-of-use and built in automation is designed to streamline gameplay.
Astral is browser-based and uses the latest technology to streamline your storytelling experience. Connect with your party online and run your campaigns however you like. Astral offers tools optimized for phone, tablet, and desktop devices, no installation required.
Build epic battlemaps using Astral‘s enormous collection of scenery, props, and tokens or upload your own. Pro users gain access to over 12,000+ assets and fresh new packs every month. Add weather, visual effects, triggers, and so much more with easy-to-use tools
Build your own adventure, or choose from pre-generated game kits like Gauntlet of Spiragos. Create character sheets, craft maps, or just jump right in to connect with your friends and start your adventures!
On Amazon and Barnes & Noble!
If you enjoy these or any other of our books, please help us by writing reviews on the site of the sales venue from which you bought it. Reviews really, really help us get folks interested in our amazing fiction!
Our selection includes these latest fiction books:
Our Sales Partners!
We’re working with Studio2 to provide our traditionally printed books out into your local game stores. Game stores can order via their usual distributors, and can also contact Studio2 directly. And individuals can check out our projects via the links below!
You can pick up the traditionally printed Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau main books, screens, and the official dice through our friends there! https://studio2publishing.com/search?q=pugmire
Now, we’ve added Chronicles of Darkness books such as Changeling: The Lost Second Edition products to Studio2‘s store! See them here: https://studio2publishing.com/collections/all-products/changeling-the-lost
Scion 2e books and other products are available now at Studio2: https://studio2publishing.com/blogs/new-releases/scion-second-edition-book-one-origin-now-available-at-your-local-retailer-or-online
Our Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition books are also available from Studio2 in the US: https://studio2publishing.com/products/vampire-the-masquerade-chicago-by-night-sourcebook
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Try this link! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Onyx-Path-Publishing/
And you can order Pugmire, Monarchies of Mau, Cavaliers of Mars, and Changeling: The Lost 2e at the same link! And now Scion Origin and Scion Hero and Trinity Continuum Core and Trinity Continuum: Aeon are available to order
As always, you can find Onyx Path’s titles at DriveThruRPG.com!
On Sale This Week!
This Wednesday we release the 5th and penultimate part of the Yugman’s Guide PDF for Scarred Lands on DTRPG!
Pay Heed to the Wisdom of Yugman the Sage
A century and a half after the Divine War, the titans lay defeated and scattered across Scarn and beyond. As the people of Ghelspad work to build a new world on the war-torn remnants of a fallen paradise, new heroes rise, and new threats emerge. Yugman the Sage brings an overview of these new heroes and villains, as well as the tools they use to rise to power.
Yugman’s Guide to Ghelspad Part Five includes new Backgrounds for Death and Devotional societies, three new subclasses, and new rules for half-orc and minotaur player characters.
Also, check out more Scion items that premiere on our RedBubble store this Wednesday, too!
Though dates for physical conventions are subject to change due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, here’s what’s left of our current list of upcoming conventions (and really, we’re just waiting for this last one to be cancelled even though it’s Nov/Dec). Instead, keep an eye out here for more virtual conventions we’re going to be involved with:
PAX Unplugged: https://unplugged.paxsite.com/
We’re still waiting on word for this one, as a TTRPG publisher we weren’t included in the companies contacted for PAX‘s virtual con replacing their usual electronic gaming con(s).
A bunch of us will be at Save Against Fear Virtual Con October 9th – 11th
Join RichT, Dixie, Eddy, Travis Legge, and other Onyx Path creators in various panels, including the always popular What’s Up With Onyx Path?, and gaming!
And now, the new project status updates!
Development Status from Eddy Webb! (Projects in bold have changed status since last week.):
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep.)
- Exalted Essay Collection (Exalted)
- No Gods, No Masters (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion Fiction Anthology (Scion 2nd Edition)
- TC: Aeon Novella: Dawn (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- TC: Aeon Novella: Meridian (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- Legacies of Earth (Legendlore)
- Once and Future (Scion 2nd Edition)
- They Came From Beneath the Sea! Jumpstart (They Came From…!)
- They Came From Beyond the Grave! Jumpstart (They Came From…!)
- Tales of Depravity! (They Came From…!)
- Heroes in a World of Horror! (They Came From…!)
- Tome of the Pentacle (Mage: the Awakening 2e)
- Monsters From the Crypt! (They Came From…!)
- They Came From Camp Murder Lake! (They Came From…!)
- Dragon-Blooded Novella #2 (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum: Anima
- Many-Faced Strangers – Lunars Companion (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Hundred Devil’s Night Parade (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Exalted Essence Edition (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Saints and Monsters (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Wild Hunt (Scion 2nd Edition)
- The Devoted Companion (Deviant: The Renegades)
- Squeaks In The Deep (Realms of Pugmire)
- Prometheus Unbound (was Psi Orders) (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- TC: Aberrant Reference Screen (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Across the Eight Directions (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Contagion Chronicle: Global Outbreaks (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Exigents (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Assassins (Trinity Continuum Core)
- Kith and Kin (Changeling: The Lost 2e)
- Trinity Continuum: Adventure! core (Trinity Continuum: Adventure!)
- M20 Rich Bastard’s Guide To Magick (Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary)
- Adversaries of the Righteous (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Novas Worldwide (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Crucible of Legends (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Dystopia Rising: Evolution Fiction Anthology (Dystopia Rising: Evolution)
- M20 Technocracy Operative’s Dossier (Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary)
- CtL 2e Novella Collection: Hollow Courts (Changeling: The Lost 2e)
- V5 Forbidden Religions (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- Contagion Chronicle Ready-Made Characters (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Lunars Novella (Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Mummy: The Curse 2nd Edition core rulebook (Mummy: The Curse 2nd Edition)
- Player’s Guide to the Contagion Chronicle (Chronicles of Darkness)
- TC: Aberrant Jumpstart (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- LARP Rules (Scion 2nd Edition)
- The Book of Lasting Death (Mummy: The Curse 2e)
- Scion: Dragon (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Demigod (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Dearly Bleak – Novella (Deviant: The Renegades)
- N!ternational Wrestling Entertainment (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Under Alien Skies (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- Dead Man’s Rust (Scarred Lands)
- V5 Trails of Ash and Bone (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- M20 Victorian Mage (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Mission Statements (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- The Clades Companion (Deviant: The Renegades)
- V5 Children of the Blood (was The Faithful Undead) (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- Peoples of the Crossroads Continent
- W20 Shattered Dreams Gift Cards (Werewolf: The Apocalypse 20th)
- Cults of the Blood Gods (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- Hunter: The Vigil 2e core (Hunter: The Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Deviant: The Renegades (Deviant: The Renegades)
- Legendlore core book (Legendlore)
- Masks of the Mythos (Scion 2nd Edition)
- They Came From Beyond the Grave! (They Came From!)
Art Direction from Mike Chaney!
In Art Direction
- Tales of Aquatic Terror – Some sketches in.
- WoD Ghost Hunters (KS) – KS page approved.
- Hunter: The Vigil 2e
- Mummy 2 – Reviewing the non-KS art notes.
- Deviant – Pinging artists about sketches.
- Cults of the Blood God – Artists chugging along.
- Scion: Dragon (KS)
- Masks of the Mythos (KS) – A few more pieces and we’ll be ready for the KS.
- Scion: Demigod (KS)
- They Came From Beyond the Grave!
- TC: Adventure! (KS)
- Geist: One Foot In the Grave – Final art should all be in this week.
- Contagion Chronicle Jumpstart (Chronicles of Darkness) – Breakdown brokedown.
- Monsters of the Deep – Meredith ADing this one.
- M20 Victorian (KS) – Awaiting art notes.
- TC: Under Alien Skies – Almost finished ADing.
- Heirs to the Shogunate – Awaiting art notes.
- Dead Man’s Rust (SL KS) – Started ADing.
- Yugman’s Guide to Ghelspad
- Vigil Watch
- Trinity Core Jumpstart
- M20 Technocracy Reloaded – In layout realized needed some more art: contracted.
- V5 Cults of the Blood Gods – Josh is chuggin’.
- Cavaliers of Mars: City of the Towered Tombs
- Yugman’s Guide Support Decks (Scarred Lands)
- V5 Let the Streets Run Red – At WW for approval.
- Aberrant – Back and forth proofing. Art still coming in.
- TCFBTS Screen and Booklet – Shipping to KS fulfiller from printer.
- They Came from Beneath the Sea! – At KS fulfiller.
- Pirates of Pugmire – At KS fulfiller.
- Pirates of Pugmire Screen – Shipping to KS fulfiller from printer.
- Dark Eras 2 – Shipping to KS fulfiller from printer.
- Dark Eras 2 Screen and booklet – Files finishing at press.
- Contagion Chronicle – Press prep, PDF and PoD available at DTRPG.
- Contagion Chronicle Screen and Booklet – Files at press.
- Lunars Wall Scroll Map – At KS fulfiller.
- Lunars Screen and Booklet – Files at press.
- Lunars: Fangs at the Gate – Prepping press files. PoD proofs ordered.
- Scarred Lands Creature Collection – Finishing up shipping to backers.
- Sunken Bones – Pugmire pirate adventure – PoD proof ordered.
- Titanomachy – Devs reviewing errata notes.
- TC Aeon Terra Firma – Advance PDF errata closed.
Today’s Reason to Celebrate!
Today marks the passing in 1993 of Peter De Vries, American editor and novelist noted for his sardonic wit. Not to be confused with Piter De Vries, Mentat assassin working for Baron Harkkonen in Dune. To be faaaair, I did only note this today in order to make a Dune reference.