Rich is away this week (see last week’s MMN) and I have temporarily taken over the blog! Speaking of the blog, we’re working hard to get a lot more content for you in addition to our new releases featured on Wednesday and our previews of fiction on Fridays. This includes more excerpts and previews of upcoming books, developer notes about games and settings they are working on (take a look at Eddy Webb’s Claws and Effect launch post for example), plus a new series all about creating characters for our RPGs. We’re kicking off this new series tomorrow with a post from Bill Bodden, who’s work you maybe have read in Ghouls & Revenants and Madison by Night for V20, plus upcoming books like World of Darkness: Ghost Hunters and Pan’s Guide for New Pioneers for Pugmire. Bill will start a bi-monthly series with a new character for Exalted 3rd Edition and then move on to other core books. Plus we’ll have guest posts from other Onyx Path crewmembers and maybe a few surprises along the way, too. Our goal with this series is twofold: first, take some of the intimidation out of building new characters and (hopefully) encourage new fans to jump in and play and second, nudge experienced players to dive deeper into their players and think about this important aspect of gaming.
In other exciting news, last week Rich announced the Salrecian Vault community content program for our Scarred Lands fantasy setting. Much like the Canis Minor community content program for the Pugmire RPG, we’re getting ready to launch this community content program soon. You can read the current FAQ for the upcoming program here on our forums. I’m really looking forward to seeing new adventures, classes, Ghelspad locations, and more! Remember, our Scarred Lands program will be open to both Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition systems. If you’re curious about this setting, all you need is the Scarred Lands Player’s Guide to get started.
White Wolf’s V5 distribution partner announced.
Our friends at White Wolf just announced that Modiphius will be acting as their distributor for Vampire: The Masquerade Fifth Edition. Since there’s already been some confusion about this deal, remember this is about distribution as opposed to publishing. White Wolf is still designing and producing the new corebook in hous, and Modiphius acts as the hub to ship this new rulebook out to stores and more. If you’re curious about this deal, you can read the press release on the White Wolf Facebook page, and further questions should be directed toward them. Stay tuned to the Monday Meeting Notes and our Gen Con panels for more Vampire news from the Onyx Path team.
Speaking of Gen Con…
Event Registration for Gen Con Indy just went live yesterday! You can search and sign-up for a ton of games, panels, and more! The Wrecking Crew will be on hand running all kinds of World of Darkness, Pugmire, Scion, Chronicles of Darkness, and other games the entire convention. We will also have a demo crew in the Onyx Path booth (#501 again). If you are going to be at Gen Con, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re in the final hours of the EX3‘s Dragon-Blooded Kickstarter and we’re over 400% funded with over 2000 backers so far!
We’ve hit 24 Stretch Goal rewards, and counting, including a t-shirt, two more silk bookmarks (at least!), increased art budget, a Dragon-Blooded novella, adding on the Storyteller Screen, opening up additional Reward Tiers for more custom charms and artifacts; new Charms, 2 sections of info on Lookshy, 2 sections on the Forest Witches, 2 sections on Outcastes, Cadet Houses, and Prasad to the Heirs to the Shogunate Dragon-Blooded Companion PDF and lots more! Phew!
Thanks so much for everybody’s support so far! Even though we’re doing great, the best is yet to come and we hope that folks can get the word out on their social media and to their friends. Everybody deserves a chance to check out this latest EX3 “fatsplat” for the most elemental of the Exalted.
Which every backer can do, because each week of the campaign we’re releasing a quarter of the Dragon-Blooded book’s text so that backers can check the whole thing out by the time we are done. We think you’ll really love what we’ve done with the DBs, but if for some reason you don’t, you can drop your pledge before the KS is over and walk away easy peasy!
So, here’s the link and see you there! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/dragon-blooded-what-fire-has-wrought-for-exalted-3
As we try and find ways to enable our community to more easily play our games, the Onyx Dice Rolling App is now live! Our dev team has been doing updates since we launched based on the excellent use-case comments by our community, and this thing is both rolling and rocking!
The devs have added a whole bunch of new game lines’ dice and rolling bg’s and got caught by a bug Apple needed to fix, so be sure to update your app and soon that should be fixed.
There’s been tweaks to all elements of the UI, you can now preview every die type in the store, and you can use multiple die types per roll! Here are the links for the Apple and Android versions:
Three different screenshots, above.
(The Solar Anima special Dice above)
ON AMAZON AND BARNES & NOBLE:
You can now read our fiction from the comfort and convenience of your Kindle (from Amazon) and Nook (from Barnes & Noble).
Our latest fiction offerings are a classic Scarred Lands fantasy book, and our latest Chronicles of Darkness anthology: the Huntsmen Chronicles for Changeling: The Lost 2nd Edition!
If you enjoy these or any other of our books, please help us by writing reviews on the site of the sales venue you bought it from. Reviews really, really help us with getting folks interested in our amazing fiction!
Our initial selection includes these fiction anthologies:
- Vampire: The Masquerade: The Endless Ages Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: Rites of Renown: When Will You Rage II (Kindle, Nook)
- Mage: The Ascension: Truth Beyond Paradox (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: The God-Machine Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Mummy: The Curse: Curse of the Blue Nile (Kindle, Nook)
- Beast: The Primordial: The Primordial Feast Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
And here are six more fiction books:
- Vampire: The Masquerade: Of Predators and Prey: The Hunters Hunted II Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: The Poison Tree (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: Songs of the Sun and Moon: Tales of the Changing Breeds (Kindle, Nook)
- Vampire: The Requiem: The Strix Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Forsaken: The Idigam Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Mage: The Awakening: The Fallen World Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
Andand six more more:
- Vampire: The Masquerade: The Beast Within Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: W20 Cookbook (Kindle, Nook)
- Exalted: Tales from the Age of Sorrows (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: Tales of the Dark Eras (Kindle, Nook)
- Promethean: The Created: The Firestorm Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Demon: The Descent: Demon: Interface (Kindle, Nook)
And even more books are now on Amazon and the Nook store!:
- Scarred Lands: Death in the Walled Warren (Kindle, Nook)
- V20 Dark Ages: Cainite Conspiracies (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: Strangeness in the Proportion (Kindle, Nook)
- Vampire: The Requiem: Silent Knife (Kindle, Nook)
- Mummy: The Curse: Dawn of Heresies (Kindle, Nook)
OUR SALES PARTNERS:
We’re working with Studio2 to get Pugmire out into stores, as well as to individuals through their online store. You can pick up the traditionally printed main book, the Screen, and the official Pugmire dice through our friends there!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Try this link! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Onyx-Path-Publishing/
Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: https://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
You can now order wave 2 of our Deluxe and Prestige print overrun books, including Deluxe Mage 20th Anniversary, and Deluxe V20 Dark Ages! And Screens…so many Screens!
And you can now order Pugmire: the book, the screen, and the dice! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=296
Wave 3 of our extra Kickstarter projects is now on sale at IPR!
Here are the direct links for the Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras Prestige Edition: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Dark-Eras-Prestige-Edition.html
Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras Storytellers’ Screen: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Dark-Eras-Storytellers-Screen.html
Deluxe Exalted 3rd Edition: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Deluxe-Edition.html
Ultra-Deluxe (Orichalcum) Exalted 3rd Edition: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Ultra-Deluxe.html
Exalted 3rd Edition Storytellers’ Screen: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Storytellers-Screen.html
EX3 Chibi Bookmarks: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Chibi-Bookmarks.html
Deluxe W20 Shattered Dreams: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/W20-Shattered-Dreams-Deluxe-Edition.html
W20 Shattered Dreams Storytellers’ Screen: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/W20-Shattered-Dreams-Storytellers-Screen.html
Plus price adjustments on M20, Book of the Wyrm, Anarchs Unbound and a
few other projects!
Ask the darkness, and it shall answer: the Beast: The Primordial Player’s Guide PDF and physical book PoD versions will answer your questions Wednesday! on DTRPG.com! http://drivethrurpg.com/product/236135/Beast-Players-Guide
The Beast Player’s Guide expands on the material presented in Beast: The Primordial, with additional information on the Families and Hungers, what it feels like to be a Beast and experience the Devouring, and how to commune with the Dark Mother. You’ll also find two new Families and two new Hungers!
The book also includes a plethora of new Atavisms, Nightmares, Merits, and Birthrights, as well as systems for creating smaller, subservient versions of the Horror, new forms of Inheritance, and details on the mysterious Obcasus Rites.
There are some things that even a Demon fears – Night Horrors: Enemy Action for Demon: The Descent has arrived in PDF and physical book PoD versions: http://drivethrurpg.com/product/236133/Night-Horrors-Enemy-Action
“Fighting the Machine is like fighting the ocean. You literally cannot hurt it. Doesn’t matter how much poison we dump into the ocean. We’ll only kill the things in it. We’ll never kill it. Same with the God-Machine. Kill angels, traitors, stigmatics, cultists, cryptids, whatever, you’ll never hurt the Machine Itself. No, that doesn’t mean we stop trying. You stop trying, you drown. Screw that.”
—Mr. Bliss, Guardian Inquisitor
Night Horrors: Enemy Action includes:
• Dozens of Storyteller characters, including Unchained, angels, exiles, cryptids, and stigmatics, for use as antagonists, allies, or just inspiration
• Multiple plot hooks and story seeds for your Demon: The Descent chronicles
• A brief look at cults in Demon, including the Ten Thousand Names of God, a secret society fueled by the God-Machine
When you need a Changeling 20th character and a way to get started with C20: here are the C20 Ready Made Characters in PDF and physical book PoD versions! Available on DriveThruRPG.com! http://drivethrurpg.com/product/225641/C20-Ready-Made-Characters
Running a one-shot game of Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition? Starting up a chronicle with new players who aren’t sure what to play? Looking for some examples of how the various kiths might look?
Thanks to our generous Kickstarter backers, these thirteen ready-made characters cover each of the Changeling kiths. Each character is provided with background, roleplaying suggestions, art, and some potential motleys and story seeds — everything you need to immerse yourself in the Dreaming!
Coming NOW as both PDF and physical book PoD on DTRPG, we reveal The Secret of Vinsen’s Tomb, a Jumpstart adventure for Pugmire. www.drivethrurpg.com/product/232337/The-Secrets-of-Vinsens-Tomb–A-Pugmire-Jumpstart
A cat living in Pugmire disappears, but neither the police dogs nor the cats of the Cat Quarter know why. When zombies attack the heroes, however, all signs point to an invasion by the Monarchies of Mau. But how does this intrigue tie into the lost tomb of the first king of Pugmire?
The Secret of Vinsen’s Tomb is a Pugmire story for three to six characters. This jumpstart contains all the rules and characters you need to play — just grab some dice and go! You can also use this adventure with the full version of Pugmire.
The Secret of Vinsen’s Tomb contains:
• An evocative and mysterious setting that’s both family friendly and deep enough to create compelling stories.
• A summary of Pugmire’s traditional fantasy rules system. It’s designed for streamlined play, with an emphasis on cooperation and action over competition and violence.
• A complete adventure for a Guide to run for three to six players. Also useful for Guides running a full Pugmire game of first or second level characters!
• Six ready-to-play characters, so you can jump into the action.
Can your good dogs discover the secret of Vinsen’s Tomb?
Also available NOW, are two physical PoD spell card packs and PDFs for Pugmire: the Artisans‘ and the Shepherds‘ spells.
Appearing now on DriveThruRPG are the PDF and PoD physical book versions of Arms of the Chosen for Exalted 3rd Edition! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/226224/Arms-of-the-Chosen
Take up the panoply of legendary heroes and lost ages, and awaken the world-shaking might of their Evocations. Before the dawn of time, the Exalted wielded god-metal blades to cast down the makers of the universe. In an ancient epoch of forgotten glories, Creation’s greatest artificers forged unimaginable wonders and miracle-machines.
Now, in the Age of Sorrows, kingdoms go to war over potent artifacts, scavenger princes risk everything to uncover relics of the past, and the Exalted forge great arms and armor on the anvil of legend. These treasures are yours to master.
Discover the mystical power of the five magical materials and the secrets of creating your own Evocations. Wield weapons of fabled might and don the armor of mythic heroes, making their puissance your own. Claim Creation’s wonders: the miraculous tools of the Chosen, living automatons, flying machines, hearthstones, and more. And unleash the mighty warstriders, titanic god-engines of conquest and devastation, to once more shake Creation with their footfalls.
Fast Eddy Webb will be attending the East Coast Game Designers Conference (ECGC) all this week in Raleigh, NC, where he’ll be presenting a seminar called “Writing for Franchises”.
So if you are going and want to meet up, let us know!
And now, the new project status updates!
DEVELOPMENT STATUS FROM FAST EDDY WEBB (projects in bold have changed status since last week):
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- C20 Novel (Jackie Cassada) (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Aberrant 2nd Edition (Trinity Continuum)
- Lunars (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- M20 The Technocracy Reloaded (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Victorian Mage (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Spilled Blood (Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition)
- CofD Dark Eras 2 (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon (Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd Edition)
- C20 Players’ Guide (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Wr20 Book of Oblivion (Wraith: The Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Aeon Aexpansion (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- In Media Res (Trinity Continuum: Core)
- CofD Contagion Chronicle (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Deviant: The Renegades (Deviant: The Renegades)
- Dystopia Rising: Evolution (Dystopia Rising: Evolution)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- Tales of Good Dogs – Pugmire Fiction Anthology (Pugmire)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Guide to the Night (Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- Night Horrors: The Tormented (Promethean: The Created 2nd Edition)
- Hunter: the Vigil 2e core (Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Fetch Quest (Pugmire)
- They Came From Beneath the Sea! Rulebook (TCFBtS!)
- GtS Geist 2e core (Geist: the Sin-Eaters Second Edition)
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, featuring the Huntsmen Chronicle (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Kithbook Boggans (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Ex Novel 2 (Aaron Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Gods & Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
- Ex3 Monthly Stuff
- Scion Hero
- Changeling: the Lost 2 – Sketches and finals coming in.
- Trinity Continuum
- Boggans – Contracted.
- Wr20 Guide for Newly Departed – Everything with Gaydos.
- Wraith 20 Screen
- Fetch Quest – Working on the logo. KS How To Play video was shot last week.
- EX3 Dragon Blooded
- Monarchies of Mau
- Cavaliers of Mars – Splats and map should be in by end of the month.
- Scion Origin
- Beckett Screen – At shipper.
- Scarred Land PGs & Wise and the Wicked PF & 5e – At fulfillment shipper. PDF and PoD physical book versions on sale at DTRPG.
- Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition – Rewards are shipping.
- Prince’s Gambit – Being sent to the US.
- V20 Beckett’s Jyhad Diary– Deluxe edition files at printer. Interior proof approved, printing now.
- Scion Dice – At fulfillment shipper.
- Wraith 20 – Errata phase.
- Beast PG – Final PDF and physical book PoD on sale Wednesday at DTRPG.com.
- SL Champions of the Scarred Lands Anthology PoD – Uploaded and processing.
- Pugmire – Pan’s Explorer’s Guide (or whatever) – Backer PDFs out, errata?
- Book of Freeholds – Backer PDF out to backers, errata being posted.
Matthew Dawkins, Steffie de Vaan, and I will be at the UK Games Expo in June running games and talking shop with fans and retailers. Prep is also underway for Gen Con 2018 in August, which takes place in Indianapolis, IN. In addition to our booth presence, be sure to check out the games and panels in the Gen Con Event Schedule.
If you are going and want to meet up, let us know!
TODAY’S REASON TO CELEBRATE: With convention season in full swing and plenty of new games on the way this year I’m really looking forward to meeting many of you and trying out different play styles, genres, and more!
40 responses to “What Kind of Vault? [MONDAY MEETING NOTES]”
May i request a new Deviant open development post? If the developers feel like doing one of course
…Uh. Is M20 Gods and Monsters supposed to be simultaneously in Second Drafts and Post-Editing Development?
Looks like that’s an error. It’s no longer in Second Drafts.
Lunars is on the board!
I know! I am also excited, and the whole team is raring to go. 😀
I know it’s ages too early to talk about the Kickstarter, but when will we find out the book’s subtitle? (I’ve been calling it Lunars: Inevitably Less Civilized, and the first person to identify that reference gets an Acerbic Austin Anti-Award.)
I have received permission from Eric Minton to let you know it will be called “Lunars: Fangs at the Gate.” 🙂
GEIST 2 IS IN EDITING!!! 🙂 does that mean it got approved?
That it does. 🙂
Does that also mean we might see a kickstarter in the near future?
I hope so!
BOOYAH BOOYAH< SAY WHAT ?!?! YEASS
Uuuhh, you sure Book of Freeholds has been sent out to backers? I’m not seeing it, just the Arcadian Memories bundle on the backer kit.
I got my PDF quite a while ago.
Book Of Freeholds is a Supplemment for changeling the dreaming,not changeling the lost
I was surprised to read that White Wolf is distributing VtM 5e out to stores rather than POD. I think this is a smart move and is exactly what Onyx Publishing needs to do to get more of their books out. That is how we got into WoD a long time ago, from stores. Otherwise we would have never known. That is how the fanbase gets really large. That’s why we have always seen Chronicles of Darkness as somewhat of a niche now, even though they’re still great materials. I think distribution is much more effective to get more fans in way more than POD and word of mouth. Yes, POD might save money, but it’s not making enough money that way. I still hope that one day we can have CoD books in all the stores. It just feels good having a book in our hands at the store with everyone around sharing about it. That is just my two cents.
Thanks for the feedback!
Retail stores can order several of our books, including Beast, Demon, Dark Eras, and Mummy at a retailer discount from Indie Press Revolution. If your local game store does not have an account on IPR, getting set up is pretty easy:
To expand a bit on what Mighty Matt McElroy said, and to address a couple more things in your comment: when Chronicles of Darkness launched as the new World of Darkness, it was during a time when game stores were collapsing. Even being in those stores along with Exalted and other lines wasn’t delivering the sales numbers to justify guessing on print runs, having a sales department, and warehousing of the physical books. Those things eat up all the wonderful sales dollars you talk about through store sales. And as distribution channels got more limited, the processes a company needed to create to service those channels became more and more damaging to the game company creating the RPGs. At least, that was what I observed as part of the management team at old WW.
Jump forward to founding Onyx Path, and I made the decision not to try and chase getting our books into stores, but to develop sales and distribution channels that worked with our methods of project creation. For example, we have now connected Kickstarter with creating print runs to get into stores via our friends at Studio2 and IPR, and used that for Pugmire first, but then Scion and Trinity and Cavaliers of Mars, and then recently for a print run for stores for Changeling: The Lost 2nd. We’ll see how that goes, and then we’ll decide what our next step will be. For instance, we might get more public awareness and an increase in interest in our RPGs through on-line gaming venues, actual play posts, Twitch, and pod-casts, than in getting books in stores, and should put our efforts towards those venues. Maybe not, but however we proceed it will make sense for us as a business based on the information we have, both internally and of the overall state of the marketplace today.
I don’t know how easy it will be for OP and WW to get back into brick and mortar spaces. My FLGS was left with a glut of WW stuff between the mighty pause and when OP started producing WW game material. I have a feeling they might not jump at getting new OP/WW books in.
“That’s why we have always seen Chronicles of Darkness as somewhat of a niche now”
I’ve never seen CoD that way, like many others I see it as the natural extension/2nd Edition of the New WoD line. The OPP model doesn’t need to follow the same path as the WW model to be successful.
With beasts player’s guide and enemy action, is it possible to get discounts for the premium hardback as advanced pdf buyers only got discounts for the standard this time around?
We’re not currently offering discounted links on the Premium hardcovers. The “Standard Heavyweight” is a newer, thicker paper than the old “Standard” version. It is much higher quality for a better price than the older Standard version.
Gencon’s event catalog has two “What’s Up with OPP” seminars that seem identical in every way except time slot and location. Are you guys doing two iterations of the same seminar for people who can’t make one slot or the other, or is one of those supposed to be something else?
My understanding is that it’s two versions of the same talk.
I hope it gets recorded for those of us who don’t attend Cons.
Especially as we’re doing Onyx Pathcast now, that is a likely scenario. 🙂
OOOOH! Geist 2nd Edition in Editing! *dances around in happiness* Seriously, I have been awaiting this since seeing the other lines get 2nd Edition cores. I am ABSOLUTELY getting a FEW copies of this 😀
It will be spelled correctly as Slarecian Vault when you launch it, right?
Come on man, you know Matt just filled in for me this week. He had to make a misspelling to emulate my usual typing errors. 🙂
Actually, I’m hoping we introduce at least two more spelling errors when we launch.
Looking forward to it! 😉
Don’t forget to add a few ‘See page XX’ scattered about. 🙂
Ian had to whisper to us on the G+ page that Aberrant is in 1st draft. SQUEE! I totally missed it because it isn’t bold.
Not only that, Steve Kenson is involved!
I’m heading to UKGE, would be nice to put some names to faces and maybe play some games. Is OPP there in any official capacity?
We’re not going to set up a booth because we’re too busy running games and hobnobbing with folks on the floor, but if you see us, please stop us and say “hello!” You may even get free stuff out of it.
I’m planning to make it up to the UKGE this year, finances permitting!
Is there any chance lunars will appear on the first draft before the deluxe dragonblooded books get sent?
Or are lunars gonna be taken care of once dragonblooded are fully out of the gate?
Lunars: Fangs at the Gate is in first drafts, even on this post. 🙂